• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies are taking over the house! Trio bonding attempt diary :-)

Jolysium

Mama Doe
I'm starting a new thread so I can keep you all updated on progress. Also I'm hoping it will help to keep me sane!

In the beginning there was Fred.
Bed%2BFred.JPG

20130327_104809.jpg

He’s an adorable 5 year old nethie/lop cross who lost his sister a year ago. He lives in our living room and is used to having free range of it. He’s never enjoyed being picked up but he’ll sit on my knee while he eats and let me stroke him. He’s recently started letting R (my husband) stroke him too but won’t usually sit on him. He’s very wary of new people. I think he’s deaf, which we didn’t really know until his sister died as he would react to her reactions. At the moment he’s got a poorly foot so has been penned in to a smaller area with less things to jump on and off.

As soon as he’s better we hope to introduce him to two new potential friends.

Day 1: Harrison.

This evening we went to pick up Harrison from Acomb rabbit rescue. I’d seen him on the forum and fallen in love with him but I was certain that R wouldn’t even consider taking on another bunny when we were already in the process of adopting one. I try to persuade him that we need another bunny regularly and he never caves. Sure enough, he told me I was being ridiculous. He did agree to look at the pictures though, which was his downfall! Looking at his cute bunny face and reading about how friendly he was convinced him that we should make an exception for this one. We went from seeing the pictures to collecting him in less than 48 hours! Given that we already have one house bunny and had been setting up a separate cage in a different room for the planned adoption, we were struggling for space. I spent most of the day preparing yet another bunny area, picture in housing section of forum. The only room we could use was the kitchen, which we’ve just finished decorating. R did all the work himself so is quite protective of it. I assured him that it would be fine - Fred has never gone in to the kitchen because the floor is really slippery and he doesn’t like it and Harrison would probably stick to the area we’d put rugs down too. How naive I was! :oops:

At the rescue Helen showed us where he’d been living and said he’d been jumping out of it regularly. This was a concern because it was the same height as the enclosure I’d made! He was clearly a very friendly bunny though. We saw all the other rescue bunnies too and I wished we could have taken more! R reminded me it was a slippery slope. The journey home was fine although I felt sorry for Harrison because he was trying to stretch out in the box and it was a bit too small for him to fit his huge furry feet out in the way he wanted! As soon as we were home he hopped out and started exploring. It was immediately clear that the slippery floor didn’t phase him at all! I hurriedly started trying to bunnyproof the room a bit more thoroughly. One of the first things Harrison did was a huge smelly wee in the middle of the rug! He even sprayed a bit, which surprised me because I didn’t think neutered bunnies did that. It sprayed on to the wallpaper a bit but R hasn’t found out yet! :lol:

Harrison is lovely. He’s a beautiful and very inquisitive bunny who is already following us around the room and making it clear that he wants access to the other rooms too! He can’t at the moment because Fred is in the living room next door. The move does seem to have caused a few issues with litter training but hopefully that will sort itself out soon. I’m used to Fred who has never done a bomb outside his litter tray! Harrison bombs everywhere and is also quite liberal with his urine so it’ll take some getting used to! He’s found out where the fridge is and already tried to get in it once. He’s discovered he can get around the back of the sofa so we’ve had to try and block it off, at least until he’s a bit more litter trained. We’re both completely smitten with him and really hope it will work out when he meets the others.

Some pics...

20130331_100354.jpg

20130331_100932.jpg

20130331_102819.jpg

We’re off to pick up the final member of the family later today!

1`a3sw2QQQQQQQQQQ - Harrison just tried to hop on to the keyboard! Maybe he wanted to have a say, can anyone translate?! :lol:

Awwwww! Little white belly! :love:

The only time he pooped or wee'd outside of his tray here was after I had Daniel out in the living room. Then he had to poop everywhere Daniel had been sitting! :lol: I think once he's marked the territory as his he'll go back to being well litter trained.

Oh yes, he did have a habit of jumping on my laptop. :oops: I think he was trying to send messages like "bring more carrots" to the RU buns :lol: He followed me everywhere, got the hang of stairs pretty quickly and often had his nose in the fridge. He's your new shadow! :lol:

I'm so excited! :D

Hi MillieandRoryrabbit :wave: Having someone else doing it at the same time will be great, I'm definitely going to need support!

Next installment (sorry if I'm far too waffly):

Day 2: Freda

We collected Freda from the RSPCA at lunchtime. She’s a really beautiful bunny, very dainty and the opposite of Harrison in character. She was terrified and wouldn’t come out of the travel box for ages; in the end I had to put it in the cage and leave her to it!
20130331_135605.jpg

20130331_135925.jpg

She reminds me of Fred quite a lot, very timid but wanting to be friendly, letting me stroke her head but getting nervous quickly and backing off. Since she arrived she’s eaten some cardboard, some paper and some kitchen roll but hasn’t touched the hay, pellets or greens I offered her! She also hasn’t pooped yet so I’m keeping a close eye on her. I hope she’ll relax a bit and settle in well and then I can get to know her a bit.

Fred’s foot doesn’t seem to have improved much so I’m still reluctant to go ahead with my original plan of putting them in together and seeing how it goes. Unfortunately I’m not going to have a really long period of time to watch them together for quite while now so I’m considering moving them all in to one room but in separate enclosures so they can start getting used to each other's scents. What does anyone think?

Im no expert but I think that is a good idea. We have done that with our 2 pairs and they bonded so easily...I think from having gotten to'know' each other a bit before hand.

Such lovely bunnies you have...I do hope it all works out for you. :thumb:

Awwww, Freda is beautiful :love: Did you name Freda or is it a weird coincidence?! :lol: If you've got the space then it might help to have them in the same room to get to know each other. Hope Freda settles in quickly and Fred's foot heals well xx

It's a coincidence! But it was a point in her favour when I was browsing bunnies :lol: It didn't occur to me initially that people might just think I was really unimaginative!

Freda has been a bit more settled and put her head down to ask for a rub when I held my hand out - I wonder if this means she's dominant bun or if it's just that she knows she's higher than a human in the pecking order :lol:

Over the next couple of days I'll try and rearrange things so that they can all have a reasonably sized space in Fred's room and can start sizing each other up. Fingers crossed!

Day 3:

Just having to have a sit down so thought I'd update. I've moved all the cages in to Fred's room (where they'll all hopefully be once they're bonded), cleaning it and them as thoroughly as I could along the way. Fred and Freda are already in the room but haven't spotted each other yet. The cages are quite far from each other but I assume they'll be able to catch sight of each other and smell each other? I'm planning to let them all out individually to have a sniff round, will that be ok? I'm feeling quite nervous about it!

Oh dear, help please. They've all moved in to the living room and Fred and Harrison came and sniffed each other through the barrier but Fred tried to bite Harrison 's nose and stick his claws through the bars :shock: Does this mean he's already decided not to like him? :( I don't know what to do, and don't want to stress either of them out. Any advice?

Don't worry, they're in Fred's territory now, so that's a normal reaction from him. He could be completely different when they meet on neutral territory. As long as they can't actually hurt each other (may need an extra level of protection around the cages to make a gap they can't reach through), and nobunny is becoming scared, they should be OK. xx

Step backwards...

Fred and Harrison were stressing each other out so they're in separate rooms again for now. Freda is still in Fred's room but they can't see each other. I'm going to wait until we know Fred is better, I don't want to stress him out more while he's ill. Having them in separate rooms does mean that R and I aren't seeing each other much though because we don't want any of them to be lonely! :lol:

Fred and Harrison were stressing each other out so they're in separate rooms again for now. Freda is still in Fred's room but they can't see each other. I'm going to wait until we know Fred is better, I don't want to stress him out more while he's ill. Having them in separate rooms does mean that R and I aren't seeing each other much though because we don't want any of them to be lonely! :lol:

Hey there ! I just wondered how your 2 male 1 doe bonding was going ? I have a bonded pair and have just aquired a 12 week old male whichni would like him to become friends with the other 2.

Hey there ! I just wondered how your 2 male 1 doe bonding was going ? I have a bonded pair and have just aquired a 12 week old male whichni would like him to become friends with the other 2.

I gave up I'm afraid, I've had real difficulty even making a pair between them, they were all quite difficult about it! I now have a pair and a single, who we'll have to find another friend for. Lots of other people manage it though, so don't be disheartened by my failure. Good luck with your three!

Oh no thats a shame :( I hope I can manage it with my 3, I just dont want to ruin the bond between the 2 . Thanks for4 your reply though:)

Back