• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter tray questions

Woods shavings + hay, to encourage them to do it there.

Cleaning, full clean out once a week and a small clear up and refresher when it looks a bit used, depending in how much the buns have been in.

My buns are indoors and we have a routine. Their litter tray gets lines with newspaper, then a single layer of wood pellets, then I cover that in a couple sheets of newspaper. This keeps them from tracking mushed up wood pellets all over the house, but is still super absorbent (it also means the hay they pull into the littertray remains pretty dry). I swap it every night and in the morning I scoop out the worst of the poos and old hay! Because of the newspaper on the bottom of the tray it takes about one minute. I usually wipe it down with vinegar if it needs cleaning.

I also sometimes line their pet carrier with newspaper and chuck lots of hay in, which they use as an extra litter box (but second to the proper litter tray).

Layer of megazorb topped with hay and I clean it out when it needs it, normally twice maybe three times a week.

Outdoor buns. Litter tray in shed. Newspaper and then hay. Sweep up extra poops and compost them. Add uneaten hay from shed floor to litter tray. Change litter tray every few days depending on how full!! More often in summer, every day.

I used to use saw dust / wood shavngs but read somewhere on here that not too good for buns. Have never trieed litter? But they are happy with hay and it works and is good for compost heap too!!

Layer of newspaper.
Layer of fitch to properly absorb wee.
Then lots of hay.

They get cleaned out every other day in the colder months.
Daily in the summer/when flies are about.

2x newspapers, lots of hay.

Change it every 2-3 days. Sometimes more if Ginger's having issues.

Newspaper then shredded paper. I clean it every day as they are indoors in the winter. Usually alternate days in the summer as they are free-ranging in the garden more so don't use it as often. :wave:

i use a plastic bag which is specially designed for the litter tray (bought from £land)
then a layer of newspaper and hay on top of that....
I found it is the best so far as I can simply wrap the plastic bag and change everyday to keep fresh and clean ;)

Mine have 3! The two upstairs are changed everyday, and the third every second day. They all have newspaper and hay, they also have 'clean' hay elsewhere:D

Back