• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tiny Poos (But Still Golden)

aatkin

Warren Scout
Hi there,

One of my buns (not sure which one, but I suspect Peabody) is producing TINY poos (in addition to normal poos). They are still golden, but they are super small (around pellet sized). About a week ago I mixed up their hay - giving them half the Timothy hay and then half large hay - could this be the cause? I am wondering if the large hay maybe doesn't have as much fibre as the Timothy hay I had been giving them. If I add in more Timothy how many days should it be before I notice an improvement (if this is the problem)?

They are both acting normally, drinking and eating lots, neither seem at all different in temperment or activity.

I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Ack! I am worried (even though they seem fine) because I have read all about stasis in bunnies.

I have just gone up and given them handfuls of Timothy hay and Peabody went crazy for it - so I put a big pile right in front of where she likes to hang out (instead of by the litter tray). She's getting spoiled, because I want to make sure she's eating okay.

I imagine this is the problem - the other hay I bought not having enough fibre. I'll give them only Timothy for the next little while and see if things improve. If I still have tiny poos later tonight or tomorrow morning I'll take Peabody to the vet.

Would you believe that the bad hay advice I had (if that is indeed what this is) came from Pets at Home? I went into our local one (which is where I've been buying Timothy hay - which is actually good quality and the bunnies like it too) to ask about other hay types. And I think the other type they sold me to mix in with the Timothy is no good for eating (as the main hay). Grr...

I've heard all about Hay for Pets, so maybe once I get these little wee ones back on track I'll try it out!

If it is only Peabody's poos that are tiny, could it be that she just has a more sensitive tum than Emerson?

He seems fine with the new hay I have introduced, but obviously I'll feed them both what works best for Peabody (as Timothy-only seemed okay for both of them).

Alright, I know I'm just having a conversation with myself now. :lol: But maybe someone will come along and tell me I've been doing the right thing!

I took all the non-Timothy hay out of their space and added more Timothy hay. I put piles by their hang-out steps, litter tray, hay rack, etc (their home is getting hoovered tonight, so I don't care about a massive mess today). I sat and watched them both eat constantly for half an hour and since I've been in and out of their space for the last while they are still munching away at the various locations. I think this was definitely the problem - not enough fibre!

Peabody has been running up and down the hall, being a very curious and energetic bun (she is usually the reserved and shy one), so hopefully that means she's feeling better after some nice, tasty, fibre-rich hay.

The pellets they are on (from the rescue centre and foster family) are very high in fibre, so I'll keep giving them some each day (I actually only give them about 10-20g each, depending on the day, since they seem more like treats that they just hoover up in a few minutes, even with scatter-feeding). I'll give them both lots and lots and lots of hay throughout the day and maybe only a few or no pellets tonight, to get them to eat lots of hay!

Fingers crossed when I come back in from the garden there are some nice normal sized golden poos waiting for me! I never thought I'd be looking forward to examining poo - but there you go! :lol:

I give my bunnys loads a different types of hay I don't think it will be the hay that's causing it :) and it sounds like your bunnys are nommin away :) not all bunnys do cannon ball golden poos lol one of my bunnys poos were always golden but not great big things :) are they drinking ok too :)

Thanks for the reassurance.

It's just the fact that they were different for her - usually they are nice lovely garden pea sized poos, so the fact they were so tiny made me think something may not be right.

When I checked on them this afternoon all of the poos in the tray were a much more consistent size, plus a few wonky ones (ovals, instead of circles), so perhaps her system was just a bit upset - but it all seems to be back to normal now!

I'll watch them both closely over the next few days though, just to be sure.

Yeah just keep an eye on them and if they go really tiny an blackish then that's a vet visit :)

I woke up this morning to glorious, consistent, golden poos! Yay! I reckon I was giving them too much of the lower-fibre hay and while Emerson wasn't bothered, Peabody's tummy didn't agree. She has been an absolute bundle of energy since yesterday afternoon, so she must have been feeling a bit down the last couple of days (and I may not have noticed because they are still getting used to us, so she's naturally shy). Now I'll know for the future, in case anything goes awry.

If anything, it sounds more like Peabody simply hadn't been eating much of the newer hay (hence the smaller poops you saw) rather than there being a problem with the fibre content as all hay should have plenty enough fibre. :D

Bunnies can be quite particular about their hays; it sounds like Peabody prefers the timothy and she might take a little while to get used to the other stuff, if at all. If Emerson was happy eating the new stuff, then I would still offer some to use it up, but make sure they have plenty of timothy hay available too.

Its definitely worth trying some samples from Hay for Pets or Dust Free Hay as bunnies seem to have different preferences. If you can find a local farm shop or stables/horse feed supplier, you might also be able to pick up bales of farm hay; they work out much cheaper and my bunnies seem to prefer them to any of the more expensive bagged hays I've bought.

Thanks!

I didn't want to waste the other hay I bought so I mixed a handful in with the Timothy this morning - figuring as long as there is lots of Timothy Peabody will be happy and Emerson can just eat whichever he likes to eat. I never thought she'd be a fussy bun, but hey-ho-what-do-you-know, she's living the high life now and is all picky! :D

I'll look into getting some sample baggies (and I'm trying to find a local farm here that does hay I could buy - there are loads of farms, so there must be at least one) and until then stick with what I know they like to eat.

Back