• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People whose buns dont eat from hay racks

JackieS

Warren Scout
Neither Axl or rose are keen on eating from hay racks, if I put it in a box they just pee on it....so we've been putting it just on the floor of their crate but it just ends up a mess! What else could I use to contain the hay?

I put mine in underbed storage boxes lined with newspaper and filled with hay mine pee n poo on theirs but I change the boxes every other day

We have litter trays for them as their toilet, if we put their 'eating' hay in one they just pee on It lol

Ah I wasn't sure if that might be a problem :lol: I just scatter my buns hay on the floor since they eat better that way and don't scatter it outside of the cage much, thankfully!

I have hay racks above their hay filled litter trays and also have a willow basket filled with hay. Mine pee on the hay in the litter tray too but its ok as I clean them out everday.xx

We have litter trays for them as their toilet, if we put their 'eating' hay in one they just pee on It lol

We put our hay in a litter box alongside two other litter pans without hay. We clean out the pans frequently so that they stay clean, but it is a very good way of keeping the hay contained.

i have large underbed storage boxes and put the hay in the middle..they pee in the corners usually. Mine won't eat out of hay racks or baskets, and like "fresh" hay twice a day...some gets wasted, but it's worth it if the buns are happy :lol:

Ah I wasn't sure if that might be a problem :lol: I just scatter my buns hay on the floor since they eat better that way and don't scatter it outside of the cage much, thankfully!

Lol!

I found we were wasting tonnes of hay a we were having empty it frequently coz of the peeing!
I have hay racks above their letter trays for the occasional time they choose to eat out of it! Otherwise we've just been scattering it lol

I stuff empty toilet roll tubes and small boxes (like mini cereal box shaped ones) with hay and that's the only place Pippin eats hay from!

I fixed a hanging basket above the litter tray, I'll try and find a picture of it for you but it worked a treat:wave:

This is what I did:
may2011012.jpg

what have you tried using as a hay rack? Mine prefer some types to others.

Just typical metal one.......although annoying I've just sat and watched Axl eat from his for the lay 5 mins lol

At the mo in terms of hay storage they each have (a they're seperated till neuter)
- litter tray (High sided cat litter tray) with hay on top of newspaper
- metal hay rack above litter tray clipped onto run panel
- hay scattered on floor
- toilet roll tubes stuffed with hay

Back