• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

May be things are improving for rabbits??

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
there have been so many sad threads about abandoned and neglected bunnies recently, I thought it would be nice to be able to post something positive :)

Yesterday when paying our rather hefty vet bill we got chatting to the head vet nurse. She told us that at their surgery things are really improving for rabbits. the majority of rabbit owners they have on their books really look after their rabbits, are happy to get them all the treatment they need and are more than willing to pay the costs :D Of course there are plenty of people who don't even seek veterinary help, but its good to know that things have changed in recent years for those who do as it was not long ago they were commenting on how people weren't willing to pay for treatment for them and they were classed as disposable pets.

She also said the majority of rabbits are now no longer children's pets but far more likely to belong to adult couples, many being house rabbits as people prefer them to cats and dogs :D

Its not much but it certainly is a positive step forward

That is good news, do hope that it is the same around the country. Would be wonderful if there was a tool to measure progress from say 5 years ago to see what a difference that information that should be now more easily available is making a difference to bunnies lives.

Liz, I agree with you.

Most of the small furry friends that come and stay with me do belong to adults and they take great care to make sure that their little darlings have all their needs met.

When I started out in my business which is 11 years ago, many of the furries DID predominantly belong to children. You could see that some of the bunnies needed extra tlc, grooming, nail clipping..... On a few occasions I was concerned that some little ones would not be collected and just be left with me. Luckily though, this has never happened.:D:D

These days there is a definite improvement. If any clients have any issues about their rabbit's welfare, they are always eager to ask questions which I am hopefully able to answer.

Things are slowly changing for the better.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

That is good news, do hope that it is the same around the country. Would be wonderful if there was a tool to measure progress from say 5 years ago to see what a difference that information that should be now more easily available is making a difference to bunnies lives.

Janice, I can confirm that in my experience of 11 years of running my own small animal boarding business, I can see significant and positive differences between now and then.:D:D:thumb::thumb:

I always have a good supply of RWA leaflets on hand to give out, website addresses for information, both for buying healthy toys, treats etc and for contacting rescues and sanctuaries.

All of which are appreciated by my clients.

Also there are some wonderful vet nurses out there that are making the effort to save rabbits with problems that would normally be pts. We are being contacted more frequently by nurses that have taken in rabbits to save them and looking for the right experienced home to take them on long term.

both Lacey and trevor were saved by vet nurses and we have been asked to take in another two from similar situations in the past two weeks. sadly we only have space for one at the moment so he is arriving in a few weeks as its a long journey, the other is at the top of our waiting list.

liz, i agree with you.

Most of the small furry friends that come and stay with me do belong to adults and they take great care to make sure that their little darlings have all their needs met.

When i started out in my business which is 11 years ago, many of the furries did predominantly belong to children. You could see that some of the bunnies needed extra tlc, grooming, nail clipping..... On a few occasions i was concerned that some little ones would not be collected and just be left with me. Luckily though, this has never happened.:d:d

these days there is a definite improvement. If any clients have any issues about their rabbit's welfare, they are always eager to ask questions which i am hopefully able to answer.

things are slowly changing for the better.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

:D

Thank you for such an uplifting post.:thumb:
I think we've all waited a very long time to see these changes begin.

On the vet side, although my current vets aren't specifically exotics trained, 2 are excellent with rabbits. The owner of the practice has provided all the modern equipment to improve the safety of GA & is doing much to improve rabbit awareness.
We all get a little rabbit pack when we 1st attend, including a booklet from the RWA & encouragement to insure them.

I agree, we see many more adults or young couples getting bunnies, and working within the store I work in I get the opportunity to advise a lot of people before they choose to purchase bunnies and let them know the ins and outs of rabbit care. When they hear how long they can live a lot of them change thieminds about getting thier children a rabbit that plus vets fees, having top have 2, the space needed. I think they are no longer though of as a childrens pet :thumb:

Back