• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"good" treats, especially for overweight buns

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
My parents can be quite bad for buying pet shop treats made for bunnies though with me relaying the telling off I got from the vet regarding Honey's weight they've taken the advice on board. With Honey's weight problem I'm trying to find something that they can use as a treat but it'd be nearly impossible to overfeed as both of them like to feed the rabbits and I feel it's a good way to keep a good relationship with outdoor buns.They do tend to feed Honey her (very small) ration of science select pellets by hand but it'd be nice if there was something different and even better if it was something good for them.

I dried a whole load of bramble leaves for them and since they came to me for bonding I've been feeding them little bits amounting to maybe 2-4 leaves a day, is it possible to overfeed on dried forage stuff because I'm thinking this might be the way to go here? I can easily collect bramble as the stick insects need that too.

Both of them really like the leaves and I'm sure I read that bramble was quite good for buns with gut problems though I'm unsure how drying affects the nutrition.

IMG_1026_zpscdf1ec6a.jpg

IMG_1028_zpsad172f25.jpg

Last edited:
also carrot tops are a good treat. not sure if hey can have too many bramble leaves. Mine don't get treats as such...just a selection of herbs, fresh grass ( cutting with scissors :lol:), foraged weeds from garden when available and carrot tops. Very rarely they may get a bit of apple or carrot.

edited to say this is in addition to tonnes of hay and a few ss pellets, which they regard as treats

I feed basil, and my parents have permission to feed basil too. It's a light, leafy green and I've never had a bunny have a problem with it. It's easy to obtain (growing basil from supermarkets) and mine just guzzle it down.

Also, if they don't have access to grass all the time, blades of grass, dandelion leaves, things like that.

Jusr remember to introduce them all slowly.

I feed basil, and my parents have permission to feed basil too. It's a light, leafy green and I've never had a bunny have a problem with it. It's easy to obtain (growing basil from supermarkets) and mine just guzzle it down.

Also, if they don't have access to grass all the time, blades of grass, dandelion leaves, things like that.

Jusr remember to introduce them all slowly.

They do have access to a garden normally though the "lawn" has been well trimmed. :lol:

Bramble, hawthorn & apple leaves & a few others have roughly the same nutritional content as grass. Once they are used to them they can be fed freely if necessary. They are good for their tummies too.:)

I've found that Doughnut prefers her veg to pellets. She loves brocolli and especially celery, she goes mad for it. She also love lots of herbs which aren't fattening.

Bramble, hawthorn & apple leaves & a few others have roughly the same nutritional content as grass. Once they are used to them they can be fed freely if necessary. They are good for their tummies too.:)

your thumper looks exactly like my bun pepsi.. do you know what breed thumper is

Back