• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Had no idea peri operative fluids cost extra!

Hi all.

Taken Bobby to the vet this morning for neutering. When I got there she asked me whether or not I wanted to pay for peri operative fluids which would be an extra £14.95. It's a bit annoying how they spring the extra cost on you last minute! If they'd have just told me earlier then I could've budgeted for that. I obviously agreed to it because I couldn't bare the thought of him becoming dehydrated or struggling to come round from anaesthetic. Maybe I'm just too used to dealing with human patients and I think fluids should just be standard procedure!! Ah well I suppose it's a business isn't it really and they want the initial cost to be as low as possible so as not to put people off. Ahhh, ran over!

Really? I don't know if my 2 got fluids but I certainly wasn't asked to pay for any, unless it was included in the price. :?

But my Thor being a numpty needed quite a bit of vet care after his neuter (Loki was fine) and they didn't charge me a penny as it was all counted as post op care, I kept going up to the counter to pay and they kept sending me away :lol:

That makes me sad and angry because some people won't be bothered to pay for it/know that it's essential so the poor buns will suffer.

:cry:

That makes me sad and angry because some people won't be bothered to pay for it/know that it's essential so the poor buns will suffer.

:cry:

Well, this is the thing, it makes people think that it isn't essential because it isn't included in the basic price. It's just to make it sound more affordable to people. Like I say, it's a business in essence! I think in the VERY LEAST they should have asked me about it at the time of booking the operation. It says on a sheet of paper which they have me this morning,

"PERIOPERATIVE FLUID MAINTAINANCE.
Placing our patients on drips, throughout surgery is a further safety measure and is considered to be the GOLD STANDARD of anaesthesia and as you know is routine for human patients. It offers the internal organs support throughout the operation by maintaining the body's blood pressure (often reduced during surgery) thus improving circulation and ensuring optimal kidney, cardiac and liver function. This in-turn aids the breakdown of anaesthetics, removing them quickly from the body giving speedy recovery and less 'hangover' for our animals post-operatively. Fluid therapy also prevents dehydration helping to avoid further complications."

Of course every pet owner is going to go for that! It shouldn't even be made an option! :censored: I just wish they'd be more up front about it!!

Really? I don't know if my 2 got fluids but I certainly wasn't asked to pay for any, unless it was included in the price. :?

But my Thor being a numpty needed quite a bit of vet care after his neuter (Loki was fine) and they didn't charge me a penny as it was all counted as post op care, I kept going up to the counter to pay and they kept sending me away :lol:

Thor and Loki, love it!! :love::lol:

Back