• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two storey rabbit hutch - how best to lay out hay etc?

I ended up putting a bigger tray downstairs plus lots of new toys for them upstairs yesterday. This morning's clean they had almost all the toys (balls and smallersoft chew toy things) downstairs except the small soft bear and the rope toy thingy they can knaw on remained upstairs, plus the willow sticks.

Downstairs was a big mess again with poop everywhere, I'm not sure but I think even more than before :lol: I did notice Bubbloo coming down and feeding from it (still sitting mostly outside it) but sometimes sat inside it too. Not that many pellets in it this morning, compared to the rest of the floor.

They both seem to spend more/most of the time in the upstairs tub in the "sleeping" area, which upon cleaning this morning had a handful or so pellets in it but not a huge amount compared to downstairs.

So I'm not quite sure of what they're doing/thinking yet, whatever's going on downstairs seems to be at night :lol:

We started a bit of clicker training yesterday just to encourage them to recognise "come here" (well with a ball point pen clicker, got a proper louder one in the post) and give them food pellet treat along with that. No idea if they had any clue or were just scoffing down food :lol: This morning's clean I tried to get them to recognise/reward "upstairs!" and "downstairs!" to try to get them to move floors so I could clean one out while they occupied the other one... it's going to take a while!

So far so good though, raining a lot so home made run is on hold until weather gets a bit better and I am trying to order/win on ebay a ready made run in the meantime with a view to reusing the panels or making it part of the bigger run later - just so they have somewhere to get out of the hutch, getting anxious to get that now.

In the meantime what do you guys think: my wife is suggesting we bring the rabbits indoors for hours at a time so they can stretch their legs. The garden is huge (100ft) but it's not totally enclosed yet with just wire fence on one side which they could probably squeeze through in parts so can't let them loose there yet. Would this mess them up? I'm concerned about them being indoors and then when it comes to take them back to the hutch they feel like being punished/imprisoned or something since I'm still waiting on the outdoor run area for them? Or is this ok for a day or two and then at times after that too? Or longer term should they just stay outdoors (and not even brought inside sometimes?)

Anyway got a bit off topic at the end but there we go, lots to do still :wave:

Last edited:
I think some people might comment on the different temp indoors and outdoors. Apart from that, I suspect it might be unsettling to be put into an unfamiliar place. Also you may well have to chase them to retrieve them when putting them back outside!

I think some people might comment on the different temp indoors and outdoors. Apart from that, I suspect it might be unsettling to be put into an unfamiliar place. Also you may well have to chase them to retrieve them when putting them back outside!

Good post :thumb: temperature changes is rabbits doesn't do them much good. They're going from one extreme to the other. You can do this when it's warmer and when the temperature outside is similar to inside, so summer, but even for an hour or more its too much of a risk while the weather is how it is :)

is This unfaire

Hi
i was just wondering i have my bunny living on his own in a shed in a double hutch with the shed floor aswell.. i was going to get a guinea pig and block of the top part of the hutch so he has the bottom part of the hutch and the shed floor and give the guinea pig the top part of the hutch.
But my parents think it is unfair for the bunny to beable to hear te guinea pig but not see him
is it unfair :(

Hmm I don't know but I imagine it would hear the noises from upstairs and the smell etc. maybe if you make a new post you'll get more replies?

For me progress report: the bunnies are continuing to settle in, they are hardly pooping at all in the upstairs "play" area now and quite a bit in the litter tray downstairs, but still plenty on the ground floor. This morning I spent a good amount of time putting extra insulation on the hutch - improvised with layers of carpet covered by rainproof sheets. It looks very ghetto but will keep them warmer.

Didn't win any runs so just ordered one online instead, and we've decided to move the entire hutch into the shed at rear of garden. It has one glass side so plenty of light gets in, fresh air can get in and it's overall warmer than being outside. Have plenty of work to do around there too though! At least they'll have somewhere to run around and explore inside there for the time being.

Phew this is tiring stuff and it's not even been a week yet!

So do you think it would be ok to have a guinea pig on the top part of the hutch or is it unfair

Generally it is not good to keep rabbits and guinea pigs near to each other because rabbits can carry a bacteria called bortadella which is very serious for guinea pigs if they catch it.

You say your bunny is single. It sounds like he has a nice big area if he has the shed to run around in. Would you consider adopting another bunny to keep him company instead of a guinea pig? The two bunnies could live together. Rabbits should live in pairs or groups as they are social animals. If you approach a rabbit rescue, you will be able to see neutered and vaccinated bunnies, and many rescues will bond rabbits for adopters, so you don't have to worry about the introductions either.

Hmm I don't know but I imagine it would hear the noises from upstairs and the smell etc. maybe if you make a new post you'll get more replies?

For me progress report: the bunnies are continuing to settle in, they are hardly pooping at all in the upstairs "play" area now and quite a bit in the litter tray downstairs, but still plenty on the ground floor. This morning I spent a good amount of time putting extra insulation on the hutch - improvised with layers of carpet covered by rainproof sheets. It looks very ghetto but will keep them warmer.

Didn't win any runs so just ordered one online instead, and we've decided to move the entire hutch into the shed at rear of garden. It has one glass side so plenty of light gets in, fresh air can get in and it's overall warmer than being outside. Have plenty of work to do around there too though! At least they'll have somewhere to run around and explore inside there for the time being.

Phew this is tiring stuff and it's not even been a week yet!

That sounds fab! I'm sure they will love running around in the shed :)

:lol:, yes bunnies do keep you on your toes!

So do you think it would be ok to have a guinea pig on the top part of the hutch or is it unfair

I used to have a set up with my guinea pig living above the rabbits. I added an extension to the bottom part so the rabbits had a large area and a bed/private area. I didn't know about the health risks at that time but tbh PERSONALLY I would have this set up again. Unfortunately my piggie died recently :( It didn't seem to bother the rabbits at all.

we have our hutch inside the shed , we have removed one side of the shed to open it up and attached a run , check out the pics on my thread 'bunny mansion' in the housing forum let me know what you think ...

I will check that out :) The run arrived today so we set that up for them to run around in so they have free access to that, we'll probably heard them back in later on after they got their exercise.

They are still mostly littering all over the ground floor, some pellets upstairs but I don't think they're weeing in their upstairs bedroom/tub (it seemed dry upon inspection this morning)

Downstairs though, oh man... hay everywhere, pellets everywhere (but no wee everywhere, they're using the tray for that it seems)

I like the Ikea bag dispenser idea for hay rack but there is none nearby, may have to order one.

Well today is their big day to venture around in the pen and it's not a bad day either, no rain and some sun so all good.

update some more: wife had the brilliant idea of reusing a chimney stack we have outdoors (was a flower pot) and using it as a tunnel, which we put that there for them and they were doing bunny flips so I think they're very happy.

Last edited:
hey sounds like they are being lazy when it comes to bumbling have you tried keeping the bottom absolute clear of hay and sawdust except for in the litter tray and when you clear up bumbles chuck them in the tray , its really good they are only weeing in the tray

rabbits like to eat whilst they poop so just have hay in the tray if you can i love the idea of the chimney tunnel ! you will have to put some pics on :D

I've been clearing out downstairs every day and this morning changed the litter, plus put some of their pellets in the corner there. Just have to keep at it. The good news is they don't seem to be making a big mess upstairs, some pellets in the tub but they seem to be using it more for sleeping in. I replaced the litter there as well and it wasn't as "used" as downstairs, looked quite dry still so I don't think they are weeing in that one.

A pound shop cutlery holder has now become a hay rack after strapping it to the hutch door using zip ties :) It's one of those circular things maybe use for toothbrushes or knives/forks etc, has big holes in it and nice cylinder shape so stuffed it full of hay and attached it to the front door. Hopefully they will eat from that more and continue using the litter tray downstairs more for littering.

I know this is an old thread, but it helped me a lot since I am just setting up the same exact kind of hutch and had the same questions. If you still post here, how did everything work out? What ended up working out best for you and the bunnies? I just rescued a bun from the shelter and he has been in the bathroom for the last 2 days until we get the cage set up Friday. I wanted to be able to keep an eye on him since he had surgery the day he came home (neutering.)
So far he is peeing outside of the littler box. I see him sitting in it, but then he scoots his butt (bum for the UK folks) over the edge to pee.
I ordered a high back litter box to try in the hutch once that is set up.
Thanks again!

Back