• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay consumption reduced

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, my 2 girls have slowed down their hay consumption. They used to empty their hay rack more often than not and always emptied the loo roll which was stuffed with hay. I have changed the hay, just in case, and although they are eating a little bit, they're not eating loads; the loo roll is still full and the hay rack was only half emptied. They are eating generally i.e. one cabbage leaf between them, muesli for breakfast (small handful), pellets for tea (small handful), and grass when they're free-ranging. I'm stumped. They're fine in themselves and poops are lovely, like they are supposed to be, and they are drinking and weeing. I just wondered if it was the weather but then figured that they'd actually eat more in the cold? Or are they just trying to worry me?

*The muesli and pellet amounts are measured and have not been increased due to the bad weather.

Thanks!

From experience it could be teeth, hay has gone musty, damp hay due to weather if it's been in the rack for a few hours, change of sleeping patterns or spending more time snuggled up due to the cold :wave:

From experience it could be teeth, hay has gone musty, damp hay due to weather if it's been in the rack for a few hours, change of sleeping patterns or spending more time snuggled up due to the cold :wave:

Thank you :wave:

I don't think it's teeth as neither bunny is showing as much interest in hay and they wolf down the other stuff I give them with as much gusto as before ...

I also thought - could it be lack of exercise too as although they don't mind the snow and still go out, they're not out for as long. They used to roam around for 30 minutes or more - now they dash in after about 5 :roll::lol: I let them out about teatime today and wouldn't let have a minute's peace - without scaring them - I walked around after them, making them move. Kept me warm anyway ...

Their poops - just checked 5 minutes ago - are perfect; gold and round so I guess they must be eating more than I think! Perhaps I'm worrying too much.

Back