• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit making guinea pig noise

kpeters

New Kit
Hi Everyone,

Our rabbit (Manfred) is making a guinea pig like noise every now and then when he is alone on the terrace. It's usually two repeated tones very similar to guinea pigs when the call for attention but less loud.

He's very active, playful and eats and drinks well. When he has made the noise I call him and he comes to me as usual there are no evident signs of sickness.

Should I be worried? Should I just monitor him see if he really starts screaming or making the sound more often?

He makes the sound maybe 2-3 times a day and that's it.

Not a bunny expert here, thanks!

Hi there kpeters, welcome to the forum :D:wave:

I have to be honest and say that I have no idea why Manfred makes his noise. I have only heard that noise from rabbits who are very ill, so obviously not the same as your situation. I wonder if you could get a video of Manfred doing it? Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

Actually...is Manfred neutered? Is he a single rabbit?

Yes his an entire buck.

Jane beat me to it!:lol: Male rabbits can 'honk' as a sign of sexual frustration. The solution is to get him neutered. Does he ever circle your feet or try to mount things? Some bunnies honk with excitement as well.

If he starts screaming then he would be in absolute pain or terrified out of his wits and you don't want to hear that! It is the sound of a most distressed rabbit. How old is he and how long have you had him?

If he starts screaming then he would be in absolute pain or terrified out of his wits and you don't want to hear that! It is the sound of a most distressed rabbit. How old is he and how long have you had him?

This is what I'm confused about. To me, a noise like a guinea pig is a scream. A honk is normally lower and shorter than a guinea pig noise. However, honks so differ from rabbit to rabbit so hopefully it's that.

I've had intact bucks and they've never ever sounded like a guinea pig.

The only noise I know that sounds similar was last week when Ludo cried out when he was very ill and being syringe fed against his wishes :(:(

So, I'd be quite worried. Have you got a video?

my doe rabbit fern has lately been making 'guinea pig' noises. I'm a bit worried about it. any advice?

It may be better to start a new thread of your own in Health and give a few more details to help people offer appropriate advice (ie Fern's age, whether she is neutered, any other symptoms)

I can't really add much to the advice already being given, but for what it's worth my bridge bunny Flump used to honk just before he used to mount things (he was entire too), and my current doe honks when she knows she's getting pellets or veg and she's been spayed so it might be excitement.

It may be better to start a new thread of your own in Health and give a few more details to help people offer appropriate advice (ie Fern's age, whether she is neutered, any other symptoms)

Yes, in particular, what are you calling a guinea pig noise? They make a wide variety of noises.

Back