• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Difference in SS pellets??

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
Has anyone noticed this??

Sometimes the bag of pellets has really long thin pellets in, compared to other bags. We've just got another bag like it, and Frankie has decided not to eat them. This happened before, the vet could find nothing physically wrong with her, she is fine in every other sense, hay/veg/dried dandelion eating, pooping, playing etc, she just won't eat the pellets. She normally takes one from my hand before they go in her bowl, she's been ignoring my hand as if she already knows its different food.

Unfortunately we threw the other bag away so can't compare batch numbers or any change in ingredients etc. She was fine with them for a few days before stopping eating them, just the same as the last time it happened. :?

Yep, I had to buy another bag but they were more or less the same.. Lola just stopped eating them so I had to fish out the older bags pellets which she ate straight away. Luckily she is eating them now, I have to break the long ones in half!

It's not the first time it's happened either, about 3 years ago Poppy stopped eating her SS when it looked and smelt totally different. My dad complained a few times because Poppy can only eat pellets so when she stopped it was dangerous. They were adamant that nothing had been changed but try telling Poppy that. She ate them eventually as I mixed them in with her usual pellets.

I haven't noticed this with any of my SS pellets. But I'm still on the 10Kg bag I bought in October. Something I need to watch out for though, as my Pebbles only eats pellets (when he isn't nicking bread or cookies out of my shopping bags!)

Glad I wasn't imagining it! Today she took a pellet from my hand and then dropped it out of her mouth. She's definitely detecting a difference. A long time ago I bought a bag of the on offer half price pellets from the range and gave them to Lola, while the other two finished the other bag. She stopped eating and ended up having treatment for stasis. I think those bills totalled over £200 in the end as I had to keep taking her back as she wasn't picking up, of course I was still feeding her the same pellets throughout so that is probably why! I only connected it when her sisters then moved onto that bag and stopped eating too so compared ingredients and they were listed differently to the full price normal bags. (This is before the fibre content change bags, the bag was otherwise identical except having the printed offer on, the pellets visibly were a different colour and smell though!)

Lola and Cookie don't appear overly enthusiastic with these ones like they normally would be, but are eating them.

I think I need to email the makers. Us owners know it is not good for them to have their food routine interrupted, maybe the manufacturers don't think of the issues it could cause. luckily mine eat other things and Frankie is a big hay eater, but for your Poppy and Pebbles it would be especially worrying. Not to mention the cost of unnecessary vet bills and the stress of worrying and the nursing we'd have through it!!

Pebbles sounds brilliant, I love naughty bunnies :love::lol:

Off on a hunt to get different bags tomorrow morning!

Happy to report Frankie ate nearly every pellet over night! I emptied the others out of her bowl as had left a mix of the new bag and previous dodgy ones in before, and just gave her the new bag ones.

There is definitely a different smell about them, and the latest bag look slightly different too. Reviewing what to do now as I can't risk this keep happening, but these pellets are the best I can access round here, and their fur is in great condition. Hmmm.

Back