Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit Choking 101

Wise Old Thumper Georgeypudding's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dbowes View Post
    Thanks Georgey. Jaspy has a wonky mouth following an ear infection. It doesn't bother him at such but he is showing signs of needing a dental and perhaps more likely to choke than before. Hopefully i'll never experience it but if i do I want to be ready.
    I've just been told there is a bag of hay waiting for me in reception () so will contact them tomorrow to book an appointment on choking Hopefully your Jaspy will be fine

very well written
    I never knew about the bunny heimlich till after parsley choked but from reading your description this is what I managed to do instinctively. (albeit probably more rough than needed, but he was critical)
    Thankfully he's had no other problems since being on Rabbit Royale. *crosses fingers*

Default Choking bunny

Wish I'd known about this yesterday, we lost our lovely 5 year old mini lop., started to eat her pellets, poor thing choking and as I rushed her to the vets, she fitted in the car and died in my arms. Lots of frothing so I think she aspirated a bit of pellet. So sad :-((, now I have to console her mate .

Ive noticed Bella doing the nose to air thing a couple of times recently when eating some banana, greedy girl! Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Haribo bunny View Post
    Wish I'd known about this yesterday, we lost our lovely 5 year old mini lop., started to eat her pellets, poor thing choking and as I rushed her to the vets, she fitted in the car and died in my arms. Lots of frothing so I think she aspirated a bit of pellet. So sad :-((, now I have to console her mate .
    That must of been awful, so sorry for your loss, you weren't to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Haribo bunny View Post
    So very sorry for your loss.
    Every Bun deserves some love, no matter what their breed, colour or background

Quote Originally Posted by el1983 View Post
    That must of been awful, so sorry for your loss, you weren't to know.
    Thank you so much,feel v guilty as I'm trained to do it in people but just didn't think about a rabbit, all I could think of was how fragile they are , is it normal to be so teary !!!!
    I've now got to work out whether to get another one for Haribo her mate :-/

Quote Originally Posted by bunniemum View Post
    So very sorry for your loss.
    Thank you very much bunniemum, nice to know that there are others who understand x

New Kit

Thanks for the tip, my Joey is very greedy.

I always worry about Bella choking as she's so greedy and eats so quickly, I always hand-feed her the pellets to prevent any incidents (which she finds really annoying as I make her wait for the next one until she's finished chewing ). I don't quite understand how to do the whole "swinging" thing though?
    Mummy to Zoe the Ragdoll cat
    ~
    Binky free Boris and Bella. Always in my heart x