Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Lump Under Eyelid

Default Red Lump Under Eyelid

Stakki has a lot of discharge from his eye today and it's half shut with a red ulcer under the top eyelid. He is eating and is still lively. He is going to the vet's later today, but wondered if anyone had any idea what this could be?

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Zarla View Post
    Stakki has a lot of discharge from his eye today and it's half shut with a red ulcer under the top eyelid. He is eating and is still lively. He is going to the vet's later today, but wondered if anyone had any idea what this could be?
    He could have sustained an injury from a foreign body in his eye- eg a hay stalk. Hopefully a course of abx eye drops and analgesia will clear things up. The Vet should check that no corneal abrasion has occurred. He/she will do this using some fluorescein dye. Good luck xx
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Thank you, Jane - that sounds reassuring.

Wise Old Thumper

Thank you, Jane - that sounds reassuring.
    Hope his sore eye responds quickly to treatment, they usually do
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

I e had hay poke in a Guinea Pig and the eye was very much as you described, although it could, of course, be another cause!

Good luck at the vets! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Sending lots of vibes for Stakki. I hope that the vet appointment goes well today and that his eye is soon lots better.

Banned

Hi Zarla

Sorry to hear about Stakki's eye, but hopefully the vet visit will resolve it.
    Often a course of antibiotic eye drops (Tiacil or Isathal) will clear up the problem.

Your vet may suggest putting a dye into the eye, as this will show up any corneal abrasion. These usually heal up on their own, but will also require antibiotic eyedrops.

The discharge could be due to a blocked tear duct, which is causing inflammation in the eye. Your vet will be able to see this, and if necessary flush the tear duct out. Lots of vets do this without sedation, but some prefer to sedate first. The discharge could also have caused inflammation on the top eyelid.

Good luck today at the vet

Thank you for the vibes, guys!

My husband took Stakki to the vets yesterday evening. The vet he saw was brand new and scared the life out of hubby by suggesting that it could be myxomatosis, despite our poor bun being vaccinated and having no high temperature, listlessness, swellings or other symptoms! She tested his cornea with the dye and said there were two tiny abrasions as well as the eyelid ulcer, then prescribed antibiotic eye drops for three times a day, plus pain relief.

She tried to look in his mouth to see if his teeth were causing the problem, but apparently he fought her too hard, and she didn't use the burrito technique. So definitely a vet who is quite new to bunnies. He has also lost half a pound since his last vet visit and now only weighs 3.7 lbs.

His eye is already responding to the antibiotics so that is a relief.

Wise Old Thumper

My husband took Stakki to the vets yesterday evening. The vet he saw was brand new and scared the life out of hubby by suggesting that it could be myxomatosis, despite our poor bun being vaccinated and having no high temperature, listlessness, swellings or other symptoms! She tested his cornea with the dye and said there were two tiny abrasions as well as the eyelid ulcer, then prescribed antibiotic eye drops for three times a day, plus pain relief.

She tried to look in his mouth to see if his teeth were causing the problem, but apparently he fought her too hard, and she didn't use the burrito technique. So definitely a vet who is quite new to bunnies. He has also lost half a pound since his last vet visit and now only weighs 3.7 lbs.

Oh bless him, I do hope his eye will soon be completely healed. As I said in my previous post, response to treatment is usually quite quick, especially when Isathal is prescribed, IME x

Banned

I am so glad you got this sorted - these things often look quite scary but usually respond quickly to treatment.

I hope he puts the weight back on too