• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Choking 101

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Before I start, may I stress the point that I am NOT a vet. If your rabbit chokes please consult a vet! It is best to consult your vet on correct techniques, as although I have consulted a vet for this post it is difficult to explain the methods of dislodging.

As most of us know, rabbits are greedy animals. It’s a general fact of life that all rabbit owners know! Sometimes, a rabbit's greed can be its downfall. Sadly, there seems to have been a massive increase of cases where a rabbit has choked on its feed.
Most of us know, rabbits have no gag reflex. This is the reason rabbits cannot be sick (like horses!) but it also means that they are unable to bring food up which has become stuck in the throat. It is a scary moment when you realise your rabbit is choking, but it is possible to help them out if such a situation were to happen.
As I said above, rabbits have no gag reflex, and we know choking is caused by something lodged in the throat. The 2 together make for a pretty bad mix, what can we do to prevent it from happening? The majority of chokes are from pellets, there is a mixture of pellets being fed in the rabbits who have choked and very few cases of rabbits who eat muesli choking. We feed pellets as they prevent selective feeding and are generally much better for our rabbits as they contain less sugars. If you choose to feed muesli instead of pellets you need to make sure that your rabbits aren’t picking and choosing which bits to eat (as this means that they will be missing out on some nutrients!)

I cannot say whether certain rabbits are more at risk than others, I am not a vet after all! It is down to you to assess your rabbit's risk factors, for myself a couple of things I would consider are:
• Is my rabbit a gobbler, or does he take his time to eat?
• Does my rabbit have dental issues? Do these issues mean he is more likely not to chew his food fully before swallowing?
Most of the cases we have seen across the forum have been from rabbits who rush to eat, end up not chewing their food correctly and end up with a blockage.

Feeding Methods which may help prevent choking:

Pellets turn mushy once wet. This is absolutely perfect for those worried about a whole pellet not being chewed and then becoming stuck. The rabbit won’t be able to gobble its food quite as quickly and no risk of pellets becoming lodged (provided all pellets are softened). It’s also really very easy to do. Take your rabbit's ration of pellets, place them in a bowl and cover with boiled water (still warm) and let the pellets soak and cool before feeding. I personally like to mix the pellets once soaked as some stick to the bottom of the bowl.

Scatter Feeding is a really simple way of feeding, take your pellets and throw them around your rabbit's enclosure! The wider spread the better! Having to search for their pellets will mean they take more time between eating (and hopefully chew more!). As the pellets will still be hard I advise watching your rabbits just in case!

Treat balls are another way of getting rabbits to take their time between each pellet. They are a small ball with a hole in, you fill it with pellets and the rabbits have to roll it to dislodge the pellets. Some rabbits can become excitable when using a treat ball: I again advise that you supervise your rabbits when using it just in case their excitement causes them to forget to chew properly.

Mixing your rabbit's pellets into their hay is yet another way of slowing down their pace. It is similar to Scatter Feeding, in that your rabbit will have to search for their food. If you are feeding hay in a rack, the occasional pellet will be discovered amongst the hay. This method does make it difficult to monitor which rabbit in a pair/group is getting the most pellets, also as the pellets are still hard it presents a risk of choking.

Hand feeding, is as it sounds! You feed your rabbit by hand. This way you can give each rabbit 1 pellet, make them wait for the next and monitor who is getting what. You will be around to make sure no-one chokes and if they do you will be able to act immediately.

Some people have asked what symptoms you will see in a choking rabbit. Having read accounts here and on the internet and consulting with my vet, it seems there are a few signs to watch for:
  • Rabbit lifting its head and pointing its nose to the air – this is them trying to breathe, it is also seen in rabbits with heart issues.
  • Making gurgling or whistling sounds.
  • Laboured breathing, panting and gasping type breaths (like you’d see in a human choking)
  • Turning blue - their gums that is, not fur! This is lack of oxygen, and again something you might see in a human.
  • Rabbit pawing at its mouth and moving around whilst chewing

Some owners also report seeing fluid while their rabbit is choking. This is because the rabbit has aspirated, (breathing something in) and the fluid is a reaction from the lungs.

Once you have dislodged the blockage, your rabbit should pink up and stop gasping for air. If once you have removed the blockage you see a lot of fluid coming from the rabbits mouth and nose, it is likely the rabbit has aspirated. You MUST tell your vet this as it can go on to cause something called Aspiration Pneumonia. In any case of a choking rabbit please take your rabbit to the vet immediately!

How to dislodge the blockage:
This is a direct quote from my vet:

'You will struggle to dislodge anything stuck with your finger (and struggle to fit it in there anyway). The best technique would be to try swinging (this sounds crazy, and is not a literal swing) the rabbit upside down, using centripetal force , making sure the head, neck and spine is supported and immobilised. Care needs to be used as rabbits do not like being upside down, especially inverted, and the head/neck/spine needs to be supported. This should only be used in a life or death situation. Rabbits in veterinary circles are well known for having pretty rubbish lungs in ratio to body mass. It is hoped with this technique the pressure on the diaphragm from the force of their other organs is enough to expel the obstruction.'
To support the rabbit, place him on your forearm. Brace his spine, neck and head with your other arm. Point your rabbit upwards and in a smooth movement bring your arms down so he is nose towards the floor.
Please consult your vet and ask them to show you the correct technique, it is better to know what to do and not need it rather than not knowing and needing it. They will also be able to show you what to do with a giant rabbit (as obviously you can’t lift them in the same way as a small bun!)
If you think your bun isn’t breathing - check! Can you see or feel the stomach moving? Is his nose twitching? If you put your hand in front of his nose, can you feel anything? If you are absolutely sure he isn’t breathing it is possible to do rabbit CPR, gently breathing into his nose. Be sure to do VERY SMALL breaths as a rabbit has tiny lungs. Again, please consult your own vet on the best way to do this, and only use if you really have to.

Once you have dislodged the blockage it is incredibly important to see a vet within the day (if not the hour). Once you arrive at the vets, they will check him over and put him on oxygen, if needed. If your rabbit is blue, this is important! Checking the airway for any remaining blockage and removing if possible. If the rabbit isn’t breathing they may intubate the rabbit, which involves putting a tube down the throat, this keeps the airway open and helps them breath for the rabbit.
Your vet should check the lungs with a stethoscope in case the rabbit has aspirated. If your rabbit HAS aspirated your vet will need to prescribe antibiotics to treat any infection or pneumonia that may occur, some vets will give antibiotics just in case, even if the rabbit hasn’t aspirated. Painkillers may be prescribed, as the rabbit may be sore from choking leading to a reluctance in eating or drinking. Vets all treat animals in their own way but these are possibilities to suggest if your vet is non-rabbit savvy!

Once again I must stress, I am NOT a vet and this information is not a substitute for veterinary care. Please seek medical attention after any choke or suspected choke.

Last edited:
This is a fantastic post, thank you for taking the time to write it. My misfit is an absolute gobbler and also a snuffle bun so her nose sometimes gets blocked and snotty. I have a real fear of her choking

Another initial sign that they may be about to start choking, is the sight of them frantically pawing at their mouth and hopping about whilst trying to chew.

Anyone been shown the technique and willing to make a short youtube video? I for one would be very grateful

Another initial sign that they may be about to start choking, is the sight of them frantically pawing at their mouth and hopping about whilst trying to chew.

forgot about that, thankyou!

Anyone been shown the technique and willing to make a short youtube video? I for one would be very grateful

When my knee is better I'm going to pop over and speak to the vet nurse, I'll video and take photos while I'm there :)

very useful! Grayson did it afew weeks back, was THE most scariest thing ever! He was coughing and running around like mad! I did the 'swinging' method:roll: looking back it was probably to rough but anything to stop him choking!! luckally he was choking for about 10-15 seconds and carried on eating soon after, so didnt warrent a vet check, but glad this is here! would of really helped me! Check Coles Specials and Big W Catalogue.

forgot about that, thankyou!

When my knee is better I'm going to pop over and speak to the vet nurse, I'll video and take photos while I'm there :)

Thanks Georgey. Jaspy has a wonky mouth following an ear infection. It doesn't bother him at such but he is showing signs of needing a dental and perhaps more likely to choke than before. Hopefully i'll never experience it but if i do I want to be ready.

Thanks Georgey. Jaspy has a wonky mouth following an ear infection. It doesn't bother him at such but he is showing signs of needing a dental and perhaps more likely to choke than before. Hopefully i'll never experience it but if i do I want to be ready.

I've just been told there is a bag of hay waiting for me in reception :)lol:) so will contact them tomorrow to book an appointment on choking :lol: Hopefully your Jaspy will be fine :love:

very well written :)
I never knew about the bunny heimlich till after parsley choked but from reading your description this is what I managed to do instinctively. (albeit probably more rough than needed, but he was critical)
Thankfully he's had no other problems since being on Rabbit Royale. *crosses fingers*

Choking bunny

Wish I'd known about this yesterday, we lost our lovely 5 year old mini lop., started to eat her pellets, poor thing choking and as I rushed her to the vets, she fitted in the car and died in my arms. Lots of frothing so I think she aspirated a bit of pellet. So sad :-((, now I have to console her mate .

Ive noticed Bella doing the nose to air thing a couple of times recently when eating some banana, greedy girl! Thanks for the info :thumb:

Wish I'd known about this yesterday, we lost our lovely 5 year old mini lop., started to eat her pellets, poor thing choking and as I rushed her to the vets, she fitted in the car and died in my arms. Lots of frothing so I think she aspirated a bit of pellet. So sad :-((, now I have to console her mate .

That must of been awful, so sorry for your loss, you weren't to know.

So very sorry for your loss. :(

That must of been awful, so sorry for your loss, you weren't to know.

Thank you so much,feel v guilty as I'm trained to do it in people but just didn't think about a rabbit, all I could think of was how fragile they are , is it normal to be so teary !!!!
I've now got to work out whether to get another one for Haribo her mate :-/

I always worry about Bella choking as she's so greedy and eats so quickly, I always hand-feed her the pellets to prevent any incidents (which she finds really annoying as I make her wait for the next one until she's finished chewing :roll:). I don't quite understand how to do the whole "swinging" thing though? :oops:

Back