• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Growing indoors and celery!!

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Hello :wave: iv been dreaming about spring/summer and growing lots of food for the rabbits, but iv also been wondering if people grow stuff indoors and if so what, how and where?! I'm quite impatient waiting for things to grow but I'm wondering if I could start some things like nasturtiums indoors now? Last summer my attempt at outdoor carrots quickly got scuppered by a cheeky little mouse :(
Also does anyone grow or has anyone tried growing celery? I'm just wondering how much of the leaves ud get with home grown as the bunnies love them but u don't tend to get that much on bought celery or its limp and horrible (although I got a very nice bunch today with some very nice thick leaves :lol: that's what got me thinking...) but I'm imagining it will be difficult to grow??
Thank you :wave:

Celery isn't that easy to grow apparently, I've never tried. Putting a stem in water might get it to produce more leaves though.

The problem with winter is light and heat. The problem with growing indoors is light too. So winter + indoors means not much light around and there is a tendency for seedlings to grow very, very fast to get to the little light that is there, the problem with that is they grow tall and 'leggy' and weak and don't grow on very well. It's better to get plants (I'm thinking herb plants here) established over spring and summer and bring them in in autumn and keep them maintained over winter, they won't grow on a lot though.

I find the best thing for winter noms is to dry stuff. I have a dehumidifier I got cheap on QVC (a round one, the big square ones are hiddeously expensive) and I dry some things in that, for instance last year I did pea pods and they are a great success. Or for things in bulk ie. brambles/willow/strawberry leaves I dry them on a tarpaulin on the floor indoors or tie them in bunches and hang them up. I haven't yet tried drying herbs other than sage as they tend to be wetter in texture than those things mentioned above but they may work in my dehumidifier.

ETA. Nasturtiums might be ok though, I moticed the other day some seeds that naturally dropped from last year have sprouted though this cold snap will kill them off but they might be ok indoors.

Some herbs might be your best bet - such as parsley. They do quite well in pots on the windowsill. I've never grown celery, but it would need to be outside in the soil just because of the space it needs.

For novelty value, a carrot top (the bit you cut off when you prepare then for cooking) will continue to grow on a saucer of water on a windowsill & you could feed it to the rabbits when it has sprouted more leaves.

What about a herb garden? You can grow them inside and there really easy!
Only thing I struggle to grow is coriander and unfortunately that's there favourite :lol:
I have little pots on the window sill and also a big metal bath outside full of them in summer.

I have some parsley on my kitchen windowsill, it was outside last summer but I brought it in before our 1st frost and it is now massive! :D

Some herbs might be your best bet - such as parsley. They do quite well in pots on the windowsill. I've never grown celery, but it would need to be outside in the soil just because of the space it needs.

For novelty value, a carrot top (the bit you cut off when you prepare then for cooking) will continue to grow on a saucer of water on a windowsill & you could feed it to the rabbits when it has sprouted more leaves.

I tried that thing with the carrot top and my dog jumped on work top and ate it the day I put it out :lol:
Maybe il try again in a diff room!!

Thanks for the replies everyone, I was thinking more of things they don't get in winter such as the nasturtiums, I will grow some herbs too tho, I have loads of seeds I bought last summer! I find it easier to buy herbs :oops: I will def collect more forage to dry this year, I didn't get anywhere near enough last year and I ended up giving it them as treats in summer too rather than saving it :oops: I just discovered some apple and bramble leaves the other day I'd forgotten I had but they're gone now! Perhaps I'm too generous... :lol:
I will try the celery in water thing aswell and c if I get more leaves :thumb:

we have a unheated green house and at the moment I have herbs, peas and beetroot growing, on my kitchen window sill I have got tomoato plants and peppers just starting to come through, last year I grew celary in pots over the allotment and I had loads , found it quite easy to grow, my rabbits like all parts of the celary as do my guineapigs, i also have onions and garlic and broad beans over the allotment at the moment, not that rabbits like onions or garlic, but there are things you can grow thorugh the winter, theres also things like winter letuce and cabbage, you could plant broccli and cauliflower in March ready for next winter too, I have also just planted a load of grass seed as we dont have a lawn for the piggys to munch on.

I grow lavender, pansies, marigolds and miniature rose varieties indoors as a treat for mine. They do grow a little slower at this time though and you have to remember to rotate them so the whole plant gets light easily.

I don't think celery would do well indoors because it's a cool season crop. Here we plant celery starting in January for that reason.

But as others have said there's a lot of herbs that would do well indoors:)

Thanks for the replies! I'll get my brain in gear and do some planning :lol: I don't think I worded my question very well, I didn't mean to grow celery indoors, that was a seperate question :oops: but if u start in jan then I might go get some seeds and c what happens :wave: I think il try some nasturtiums, even if I just start them off early indoors then put out in spring. They love nasturtiums, I had loads a couple of years back but last yr everything seemed to be less successful :roll: Hope this yr is better! Really want to do lots in my garden this yr :thumb:

just on my way to bed so will be brief but despite being a bad gardener who can kill things by looking at them I have sucessfully grown a tonne of celery this year and it's very very leafy! It's still growing, in fact :shock:

just on my way to bed so will be brief but despite being a bad gardener who can kill things by looking at them I have sucessfully grown a tonne of celery this year and it's very very leafy! It's still growing, in fact :shock:

Ooh thanks for that :wave: that fills me with confidence, def going to get some celery seeds ASAP :D Night!

do you have any celery at the moment? If you plant the stubs they should establish a root system and grow new celery.

Back