• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vegetables for Ralph - advice / mind at ease request

davemulheran

Warren Scout
Hi all

I tend to give him a plate of veg in the eve with his small pellet feed. Consists of waitrose spring greens, a carrot top and some basil.

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-43301-essential+Waitrose+spring+greens

Ive recently been giving him a few leaves of this stuff too.. he wolfs it down, Is it safe?!

Cavolo Nero Black cabbage

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-43297-Cavolo+Nero+Black+cabbage

Is this ok for his daily veg? he has unlimited hay during the day also

any other reccomendations for adding / removing from his veg? (that waitrose stock if poss!?)

He's getting on a bit now so I want to make sure he is eating well and correct. He has always had a bit of a runny bum!

Thanks
Dave

Hi. If your bun has always had a runny bum, have you tried changing his pellets and reducing his greens down in the past? A buns poo should be crumbly and dry and not runny. Does he get unlimited hay? And how much pellets does he get? I would remove vegetables that may upset his tummy and make his poo runny...try herbs instead like coriander, dill, mint, borage etc.

If you have a garden, try growing some herbs ( I struggle to get mine to grow indoors at the moment though) and also look for wild plants that bunnies can eat, as long as your garden isn't contaminated. Wild plants like dandelion, fat hen, chickweed, bittercress, oxtongue, groundsel and bramble leaves, strawberry leaves etc. though they may be hard to find in the winter.

Hi guys.

He is fed the below pic twice a day. Science selectives pellets (not many) and some redigrass mixed with naturals dandelion and a pineaple / papaya chunk (to aid in breaking down any fur he ingests.. hes had a blockage or two in his time)

WxxCf.jpg

I didnt know about strawberry leaves! we grew loads this summer... I wonder if the leaves are still there!?

He has unlimited hay and I tend to wash a bit of the aforementioned veg in the evening before bed for him

Not loads.. say a small plate/saucer full....

When I say he has a runny bum ... He is a little bit tubby so finds it hard to get his head round to his bum to eat his caecotropes. These then end up on the floor/in his trays or stuck to his bum! (he is an indoor free range rabbit!) he does LOTS of normal pellets too.

This is him in one of his hay boxes

210k2.jpg

Last edited:
If he is too tuby to eat his cecals that I would reduce the veggies and pellets a bit and let him eat more hay that way :)

My indoor buns get pellets for breakfast (1 handful between them) and every few days they have some fresh herbs/veg. Apart from that they get unlimited fresh hay and lots of dried forage :)

Back