• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help- potential side effects of eating Pets at home Honey and a berry bars?.

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
my son was cleaning her hutch and run out today and inadvertently left a box open with bunny treats in it, which I had avoided giving them. the bag was sealed and hadn't been opened. They are the stick type gnawing bars with seeds,honey and fruit..

Willow has eaten 2 of them clean down to the stick...

I discovered her on the roof of the hutch, gaily munching away and nearly finished the second one...

I am firstly astounded that she managed to get on the hutch roof and secondly amazed at the sense of smell, I knew it was good but not literally when packet was sealed..

what are the likely side effects? Any problems for me given her iffy tummy at the best of times?

help

fee xxx

I suppose it depends on the bunny. I don't give them now as Roxy would eat a full one until done and she ended up not eating for the evening and I was so worried. She was fine the next day tho.
Alvin would only nibble them and be fine.

Hope your bunny is ok.

Last edited:
OMG, so do I......

I am overly anxious about her now and have already an issue with pellets and splats... I don't need her to be unwell to with an achy tum with overeating!!

she is due to get bonded on Monday so need her to be fighting fit. I think I am sadly failing on all fronts.....

I would try to tempt her with some extra-tasty hay and just keep a very close eye on her - whizz her to the vets if needed but she may fine - a case of 'wait and see' I think.

fingers crossed for no major problems x

thanks Esupi,,,, We left her nomming some hay in the hutch She looked ok but I reckon I will check later and tomorrow morning I will go in with baited breath!!

You might well get some nasty looking poo, hopefully that is the worst that may happen.

I would just keep freshening up the hay to encourage her to eat loads of it and hopefully pass the snacks out quickly.

They are quite sugary so you could also give a probiotic such as bio lapis to help the gut flora. It's not expensive.

Oh dear. :shock: After all your efforts to guard against her splats too.

How is she today? It should help that she is a good hay eater. xx

hiya Folks.... she has been ok, she has pooped but they look a lot darker, smaller and not as golden as before, and not as many of them either but she is still eating her hay though and has been drinking. no splats evident anywhere!!

I have changed her storage box, litter tray and big flower pot with new hay so she has lots of choice, it's hay, hay or more hay!, I have also moved a small toy I had as I think she jumped on this to get to the hutch roof!!! wee minx that she is.......

will pay close attention for the rest of the day though just to make sure there's more golden poo to admire!!

thanks for all your support with this..It's appreciated

fee x

cheers esupi. !:wave:

I must admit to being very relieved .. been out again and more poos and still nomming...

All looking ok. I think we have had a lucky escape this time........ the treats are all away.

Cheers Fee x

thanks Susie.... Rechecked an hour ago, poos back to a golden colour.....!!,

phew, why is it, she can't eat healthy veg/pellets but can eat that rubbish? it is ironic......

Fee xxx

You will not believe it.. Sneaked in on her and she was snooping about the roof of the hutch again.. Everything is well away but she obviously wanted to double check!!! wee minx !!!!!!

Fee xxx

You will not believe it.. Sneaked in on her and she was snooping about the roof of the hutch again.. Everything is well away but she obviously wanted to double check!!! wee minx !!!!!!

Fee xxx

:lol: She really is a ladybun worth the watching!

Should be fine. Islay and Jura ate about 7 in the run up to Christmas. They kept breaking into the box I had hidden them in :lol:

Back