• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunnies: Help with weaning off Wagg muesli and encouraging hay feeding

Cashew1992

Young Bun
Firstly here a bit of background info: I took on a pair of unneutered 9 month old bunnies on December 2nd after seeing them for free on gumtree. When i went to see them i found out the owner was getting annoyed with them "fighting" and couldn't return them to PetsAtHome.. they came in a tiny 3ftx2ftx1ft guinea pig hutch and had never need taken to the vets.

I let them settle in to there new 6ftx3ftx2ft hutch for 6 days before taking them to the vets. They've now both had their Myxo-RHD Vaccines, matts cut out, teeth and nails checked; got flea treated also as there was signs of flea dirt and finally they got Neutered on the 19th.

I've named them Mustafa (white/ginger patch lion head) and Dozer (black dwarf lop)

They both have a very healthy appetite but only for Wagg Bunny Brunch muesli (i was given 2/3rds of a 15kg bag when i picked them up) I want to move them over to Science Selective which is what my bunny Jessica is fed on. As far as i can tell they had an unlimited supply of Wagg BB because they came with a 20cm diameter ceramic dog bowl..

I've reduced there feed down to 50 grams of wagg plus 6 SS pellets in the bowl as of orders from the vet and they have as much hay as they like. They don't seem to like eating any hay nor will they try the SS pellets. They aren't even nibbling them, i've been offering them with carrot slices sort of as a treat in the afternoon and they scent mark them them throw them around but then leave them well alone.

Does anyone have any advice or tips ?

Well done for doing all you have done for them.

I wouldn't worry too much about them not liking the pellets but just reduce the muesli until it is just a tiny amount, an eggcup full each as with pellets. You could scatter it in their hay to encourage foraging.
You could try them on grass, clip some and mix it in with the hay perhaps. Offer hay in hay racks, in their litter trays. Change the unbeaten hay for fresh often and top up 2 or 3 times a day with fresh.

Do they have veg? That too could be shredded and mixed in with the hay to encourage foraging.

Once they are eating very little hard feed they should find the hay more appealing.

Aw what lucky bunnies to have found a home with you, you have saved them from a life of misery and now must be in bunny heaven!

Good advice from Dustyrabbit. I think you will find that when the dry mix is reduced right down they will hopefully start tucking into hay and veggies. When I've wanted to wean my bunnies from one dry food to another, I've done it very gradually so their tummies have time to adjust but seeing as they are not tucking in to the SS at all, I'd probably suggest working on bringing the muesli mix amount right down first as Dustyrabbit says, then you could try adding in a little bit of SS.

Thanks very much, starting tonight i'll just give 2 egg cups full of muesli.

I have tried some shredded romaine lettuce, mint leaves a few times and Mustafa adores it but Dozer just sniffs it and backs up. I'm not sure if they've ever been given greens etc so progress is going to be slow but will be worth it :)

I picked up some dried herbs today to sprinkle on the hay hoping that will interest them also and its looking positive i caught sight of Dozer having a nibble :D!

There are many wild foods that the rabbits enjoy as well as many that you can grow easily in the garden. You may want to check out some of the foraging threads for ideas. As with all new foods a very slow introduction is necessary.

Back