• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can too many pellets cause splats?

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
Just a question....

cleaned out Willows bedding area and there are 3 soft 'splats' , smell terrible.

the only thing I can think is we gave her extra pellets yesterday for New Year...

can this be the cause? she is herself and running about

( given floppys passing, I am now paranoid)

Yep, too much protein (from the pellets) is likely what caused it. She should be fine but keep an eye on her of course:)

Phew...... Thanks for that William... I was sick with worry there.....

Fee xx

Thanks......... I gave her a couple this morning BEFORE I discovered them.. I will definitely heed your advice though.... couldn't bear if anything happened to her

fee x

They sound like uneaten caceotrophs that have been squashed. Looks like you identified why they were there, so I wouldn't worry unless they reoccur. Just be careful to not make quick changes in their diet from now on.

Thanks... I think i felt sorry for after losing Floppy and spoiled her a bit too much? I should have known as she eats loads and quickly too! and i have to watch with veggies also as they can make her splat.... She obviously has a sensitive tum

Many thanks
Fee x

definitely, Doughnut had this when she was a baby as was told to feed her unlimited pellets. I now feed her an egg cup a day, split into morning and night as if she had them all at once she would get splats.

How much do you give them?

She only gets about 8in the morning and about 6 at night ( excel sensitive)

Ah bless her, but she prefers the pellets. Doughnut is obsessed with them, begs non stop and scratches at the door when I go to the kitchen!

Mr McFlurry (my friend's rabbit is VERY prone to splats, and I suspect too many pellets and too much veg is definitely the cause in his case). It can get messy, esspecially if the bunny has a tendency to stand or sit on them. Splat are also, I think, more spontaneous, so even a litter-trained rabbit will do them anywhere.

Your lucky she is a good hay-eater. You can spoil her by giving more hay. ;) She must do fab poos normally. What hays does she like?

We get lovely Timothy Hay from Alexanders ( used to be firstforfeed in Eaglesham)

Its long and stalky with lovely wee husks and lovely green bits. smells lovely. She also likes Alfalfa King Timothy hay but is really pricey. I can get a bale of alexanders hay for the same price as a bag of Alfalfa King stuff...

Her poos are normally lovely and gold colour. would take pictures!!! how sad is that???
it seems to me though that when she does eat pellets in any quantity, she has issues. Would a hay only diet be cruel???

I currently have an underbed storage box fullof hay a small litter tray full and a big plant pot full so she does get LOADS

We get lovely Timothy Hay from Alexanders ( used to be firstforfeed in Eaglesham)

Its long and stalky with lovely wee husks and lovely green bits. smells lovely. She also likes Alfalfa King Timothy hay but is really pricey. I can get a bale of alexanders hay for the same price as a bag of Alfalfa King stuff...

Her poos are normally lovely and gold colour. would take pictures!!! how sad is that???
it seems to me though that when she does eat pellets in any quantity, she has issues. Would a hay only diet be cruel???

I currently have an underbed storage box fullof hay a small litter tray full and a big plant pot full so she does get LOADS

I bought Spenser that expensive Alfafa King hay a couple of times, and he wouldn't touch it. Not even a sniff. :roll:

A few people on here do hay-only diets to suit their buns sensitive digestions. I think it is quite tricky to manage re. keeping weight on, but it might be worth doing a separate thread to ask about this.

As to photos of poos, I'm sure we had a photo thread showing off (or not, in my case) the quality of our buns' poos one year. :oops:

cheers Suzie... I think I will start a new thread.. will be interesting!!

Back