• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much water should a rabbit be drinking?

supersonic

Mama Doe
First off, hope you all had a wonderful Christmas :)

I was just wondering how much buns should drink. Sonic is a medium sized rabbit (his breed is unknown) and since he's switched from a bottle to a bowl he seems to be drinking less. I was just wondering whether it is because the bottle dripped or something :p

Do you provide both so he has a choice?

Most rabbits prefer a bowl, but if they've been used to using a bottle it is possible that they may prefer bottles. My hamster, used to a bottle, wouldn't take to a bowl.

The amount a rabbit drinks depends very much on the size, and the diet of the rabbit. A rabbit with constant access to fresh grass may hardly drink, a rabbit given lots of fresh food may drink less, but a rabbit kept mainly on hay and pellets would drink a lot more.

I think it can vary greatly from rabbit to rabbit. I think I have seen threads about this before that revealed a wide range of normal. I think it's important to know what is normal for your bun and to notice any changes.

My two live separately, are very similar size, brother and sister, eat the same but he drinks about twice as much as she does. Both have a bottle but love a bowl in the summer too.

Bunnies differ so much in how much water they drink. I've owned bunnies for 17 years and cared for other peoples' for the past 10 years.

So long as your bunny is bright, perky and weeing I wouldn't worry about the quantity that Sonic drinks.

Bunnies differ so much in how much water they drink. I've owned bunnies for 17 years and cared for other peoples' for the past 10 years.

So long as your bunny is bright, perky and weeing I wouldn't worry about the quantity that Sonic drinks.

Oh he's definitely perky! And weeing! :lol:

He used to have a bottle, but that broke so he had to have a bowl for a while. For a long while after he had both, but refused to drink anything out of the bottle.

Thank you everyone :)

Average water consumption is 50-100ml/kg/24hrs

Rabbits who are fed a lot of fresh food (Veg etc) tend to drink less than those who are not. Veg contains a lot of water.

Im always amazed at how much my indoor buns drink compared to the outdoor ones! :shock: But all mine drink different amounts...

Back