• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay vs Straw

is the timothy & Rye hay the one that is golden, thick stalks with soft fluffy grass seed heads in it? I ordered two 9.5kg bags from hayforPets...one was ings, one was timothy & rye, but they weren't labeled :lol: My buns only like the one that is more golden ..the other stuff they won't touch ( long thin, green, smelly with bits of thistle & occasional pea like seed pods!) I'm hoping my piggies will eat what the buns won't!

The Ings has a larger variety of different grasses and is generally very grassy, lots of green, flat, long strands, and long grassy strands that look like meadow grass. Has thicker ones as well though, and I have had a bag with lots of stalky bits before, but it is much greener and grassier than the T&R. It usually has lots of seed heads as well. The T&R will be more golden, the strands are thick and stalky. It is sometimes greener, but generally a golden colour.

I got a bale of hay the next morning after my original post.

You guys mentioning the different kinds of grasses used in the hay makes a lot of sense to me now! Usually the bales I get from this farm shop are golden and more stalky, but this one is more flat green grassy, it's got a lot of thorny plants in too (which hurt) but the buns are happily munching away :)

Is there any black felt pen writing on the bags sometimes there's usually black writing on the polythene which I find hard to see sometimes :)

Couldn't see any writing on the bags....but just got an email back from hayforpets, and they said from my description my buns prefer the timothy and Rye hay...so will order another bag of that.

Back