• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay vs Straw

Beansprout

Warren Scout
Over the last week I had run reeeeally low of hay. Like, there's nothing left. Went to the farm shop today (first day they were open after xmas) and they didn't have any hay!! I got a bale of Straw instead just to keep them happy while I wait for the Farm shop to get some more Hay in. I've just read a little about hay vs straw and straw doesn't have any nutritional qualities whatsoever apparently.. well compared to hay...

Do you think the Straw I got (a massive bale) would be better than nothing before I get some more Hay? Could be a week or two for all I know!

Thanks all

Not really there's no nutritious values in it, don't you have any pet stores or The Range morrisons Asda all do bags of hay

Not really, they need hay, straw is a bedding, it is MUCH better at insulating, but is not a food source like hay. All pet shops sell hay, supermarkets sell hay, garden centres ect ect even most petrol stations have a small rubbishy bag tucked away in with the dog food!!!

I would say your really need to get some or you would be risking stasis. (if your buns have access to unlimited grass and are used to that as a food source then it's prob not quite so urgent, but if they normally eat a lot of hay then I would say that just stopping it could be dangerous for them)

Not enough, its not a food. Can't you get to a supermarket or pets at home?

I think Hay for Pets are open for business again now, but obviously would take a few days for delivery.

It scratches ya legs to bits when it's just been cut and farmers chasing ya for cutting thru his field :roll:

Straw contains lots of fibre but little in the way of nutrients. I should think it will tide them over for a few days providing they'll eat it but I'm not sure about weeks. You could gradually introduce fresh grass and extra leafy veggies to offset it.

It will depend a lot on your rabbits some are very sensitive to changes others adapt better.

How would they know not to eat it when it's used as bedding?

I need to top up on food anyway so I'll have a look on pet supermarket to see if they have any largeish bags ^^

when I have put hay and straw in. They've had a nibble or two but they always go back to eating the hay..

I dare say if they were starving and there was nothing else, they would eat the straw..

good luck
Fee x

Eating straw won't harm a bunny :) They often nibble when it's used as bedding. It's just not got enough nutrients as a food source.

I need to top up on food anyway so I'll have a look on pet supermarket to see if they have any largeish bags ^^

It's just an instinctive thing. I use short cut straw for litter, not once have I ever seen any of mine eat it. They like hay and they know what it is.

Have you tried HayforPets? Their hay (particiularly timothy and rye) goes down well here.

Have you tried HayforPets? Their hay (particiularly timothy and rye) goes down well here.

is the timothy & Rye hay the one that is golden, thick stalks with soft fluffy grass seed heads in it? I ordered two 9.5kg bags from hayforPets...one was ings, one was timothy & rye, but they weren't labeled :lol: My buns only like the one that is more golden ..the other stuff they won't touch ( long thin, green, smelly with bits of thistle & occasional pea like seed pods!) I'm hoping my piggies will eat what the buns won't!

is the timothy & Rye hay the one that is golden, thick stalks with soft fluffy grass seed heads in it? I ordered two 9.5kg bags from hayforPets...one was ings, one was timothy & rye, but they weren't labeled :lol: My buns only like the one that is more golden ..the other stuff they won't touch ( long thin, green, smelly with bits of thistle & occasional pea like seed pods!) I'm hoping my piggies will eat what the buns won't!

I'm not sure but I think the Timothy and Rye is the longer, greener, smellier hay! Sounds more like the one your buns don't like, my boys love it! If I was near you I'd come and get it from you coz I'm running really low!! Just going to order some more...
I maybe wrong though...

Even my piggies aren't eating the greener batch of hay..just made a cave in it :lol: So I just gave them some of the golden hay, and they started munching straight away!

I'm sure the hay experts and hay for pets both deliver really quickly..I'm sure mine were all delivered next day (I ordered from both companies same day and both delivered same day.

Yes, the timothy and rye is the stalky one. The ings is like long flat blades of grass.

My bunnys won't eat the Ings hay but they wolf the tymothy n rye down I love to watch em eating the long strands :lol:

Is there any black felt pen writing on the bags sometimes there's usually black writing on the polythene which I find hard to see sometimes :)

Back