• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can i feed my rabbit fresh alfalfa or clover instead of hay

amrihab

New Kit
in egypt it is extremely hard for me to get hay can i feed them the fresh clover or alfalfa instead.
If no then why it is the same plant can i dry it at home for a long time then feed it to them

in egypt it is extremely hard for me to get hay can i feed them the fresh clover or alfalfa instead.
If no then why it is the same plant can i dry it at home for a long time then feed it to them

I haven't got any suggestions on this as such, but where did you get the rabbits from? Can you contact the breeder and ask them where they get theirs? Or they might be able to sell you some?

why shouldn't i be able to give them fresh alfalfa instead of hay ? can i dry alfalfa or clover myself to make them hay? it is the same plant used to make hay then why not?

why shouldn't i be able to give them fresh alfalfa instead of hay ? can i dry alfalfa or clover myself to make them hay? it is the same plant used to make hay then why not?

Hay is dried grass, not dried alfalfa.
Certainly you could try drying clover - but this is a treat, no substitute for hay.
Alfalfa is not generally recommended for adult rabbits.
I would do as has already been posted, contact the breeeders to find out where they get their hay.
Hay is the most important part of a rabbit's diet - should be 80-90%, so certainly worth pursuing sources.

ok i will try that but can i get fresh grass from any place dry it and feed it to them?

Yes, but I don't know where you'd buy fresh grass, and you'd have to dry an awful lot. Fresh grass is also fine to feed - if you have a garden he could go out in a run.

Alfalfa is very high in calcium and protein and so it is best to only feed it as a treat. You need a normal hay to feed as the majority of their diet. By normal hay, I mean Meadow hay, Timothy hay, Rye hay, Oat hay, Alpine Meadow Grass, Orchard Grass and products labelled as 'dried grass'.

Have you checked pet shops? The other thing to do is to contact stables and farms, as they will have hay to feed to their horses, cows, goats, sheep etc.

Back