• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay question please

Roly Poly

Warren Veteran
Hi,

My rabbit has never been a big hay eater.

I have tried every type on the market and nothing really seems to get him excited.

He's just moved inside and now I can really see how much he is or should I say isn't eating. When he was outside, I kep his hay topped up but I think most of it got caught up and disposed of with his bedding.

Like I said I've tried all sorts, the only thing he seems to enjoy is readigrass and the little hard bales of alfafa.

Can anyone suggest anything, the last thing I need is for him to have to go through another dental.

Thanks xxx

Mines aren't huge hay eaters but they love the hay 4 pets timothy & rye one since putting them on this they eat loads of it they also do sample packs.

I'll have a look at that one, not sure if he's tried it - thanks

Mine love this, too.

Rabbits will only eat hay if they are hungry - if there's a chance of a treat/lots of pellets to fill up on - hay will take a back seat.

As hay is so important, worth persevering.

mine also wasn't eating much hay, i tried 2 types/brands, and she never ate a reasonable quantity. i decided to try Excel Forage, and now she is eating lots of hay! :D expensive yes, but for me its working, so ill stick to it

I have various different types of hay which keeps them excited:lol: I have Ings hay from The Hay Experts, bale of Farm hay, pure pastures hay, a sprinkling of timothy hay and pure pastures barley straw. They have a bit of each one every day and their poos are now so golden which makes me a happy bunny mum! :lol:

Try juicing an apple etc and putting a bit on the hay. I havent tried it but I someone gave me the tip when I had a bun here who hardly ate any hay. Obviously not too much for sugar content.

Try juicing an apple etc and putting a bit on the hay. I havent tried it but I someone gave me the tip when I had a bun here who hardly ate any hay. Obviously not too much for sugar content.

Thanks for that idea, sounds like it may work, will give it a try xx

I have various different types of hay which keeps them excited:lol: I have Ings hay from The Hay Experts, bale of Farm hay, pure pastures hay, a sprinkling of timothy hay and pure pastures barley straw. They have a bit of each one every day and their poos are now so golden which makes me a happy bunny mum! :lol:

Just about to order some more timothy and rye hay for my buns. Roughly how much hay do other peoples buns eat? I have two dwarf lop boys and they have got through 9.5kg of this hay in 2 months! That seems like a lot to me!!! Wish they also liked the local farmers hay, it's much cheaper and easier to get hold of. esp near christmas!!!

2 months ago i bought about 30Kg of hay (10kg of green oat & barley, 9.5g of Ings and 9.5Kg of another one...maybe Timothy?) my 4 have gone through about about half of it, so about 15kg in 2 months! One bun isn't a hay eater, so that's about 5kg per rabbit per two months...so 9.5KG for 2 rabbits seems about right!

My Pebbles has never been a hay eater, and when I reduced he's pellets down he went into stasis and lost loads of weight (vet said he would eat more hay if I cut out pellets, but he didn't!). He is also a dental bun, with severe malocclusion. So I now feed Pebbles separately, and he does have a nibble on hay, more so now than he did 2 years ago. But since I increased his pellets, he hasn't need a dental in the last year, whereas before he was needing them every 6-9 months.

Another thing to try if you bun won't eat hay, is hay cookies or cubes, ready grass , dried herbs, fresh grass (grown in seed trays if you don't have a lawn that isn't flooded!)

2 months ago i bought about 30Kg of hay (10kg of green oat & barley, 9.5g of Ings and 9.5Kg of another one...maybe Timothy?) my 4 have gone through about about half of it, so about 15kg in 2 months! One bun isn't a hay eater, so that's about 5kg per rabbit per two months...so 9.5KG for 2 rabbits seems about right!

My Pebbles has never been a hay eater, and when I reduced he's pellets down he went into stasis and lost loads of weight (vet said he would eat more hay if I cut out pellets, but he didn't!). He is also a dental bun, with severe malocclusion. So I now feed Pebbles separately, and he does have a nibble on hay, more so now than he did 2 years ago. But since I increased his pellets, he hasn't need a dental in the last year, whereas before he was needing them every 6-9 months.

Another thing to try if you bun won't eat hay, is hay cookies or cubes, ready grass , dried herbs, fresh grass (grown in seed trays if you don't have a lawn that isn't flooded!)

Aaw, I have a Pebbles too :) Good to hear that you think about 5kg per bun for 2 months is ok.. I'm so worried about my poor buns tonight in the rain :( they would hat it if I bought them in but its so wet and yucky! They don't seem to care but their shed is getting damp where they run in and out all the time, their poor little feet are soggy :(

Aaw, I have a Pebbles too :) Good to hear that you think about 5kg per bun for 2 months is ok.. I'm so worried about my poor buns tonight in the rain :( they would hat it if I bought them in but its so wet and yucky! They don't seem to care but their shed is getting damp where they run in and out all the time, their poor little feet are soggy :(

I can see there is going to be a market for bunny wellies!

My Pebbles is named after one of my first buns I had as an adult 20 years ago (from Flintstones lol) My second piggie was Bam Bam lol

Back