• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter Foraging

Bourbons

Young Bun
Are any of you managing to find much forage to feed to your buns?

I wasn't able to collect enough to dry it this year, but will be dong so next year. I hit the jackpot of bramble leaves whilst walking my dog yesterday and picked a fair bit, got some rather strange looks from a fellow dog walker as he walked past and saw me stuffing bramble leaves into my pocket haha! :oops:

Other than that I've managed to salvage a few apple tree leaves, some hazel leaves, and of course grass, but that is about it.

Does anyone have any winter foraging tips?

I don't manage to get much either its a bit sparse but I do collect some hawthorn twigs and I noticed wild carrot does grow near me in a field and seems to keep growing through the winter. I have also noticed a few dock leaves about. But yes the brambles seem to grow all year.

I don't normally even try but I'm completely out of dried stuff after last night with Mini so I'm going to go up the allotment and see if I can find anything. Pretty sure there'll be some bramble leaves on my dad's plot. There is a patch of plantain by one of the water troughs so I'm hoping there might be some there.

Still finding dandelions, plantain, groundsel, occasional docks and, of course, brambles. There are a couple of hawthorn bushes still with leaves on which I manage to get to about once a week. Been having more herbs recently plus acceptable bits of salad bowls.

Mostly just lots of brambles, but I also collect hawthorn and apple twigs as Chaplin loves those. I thought rose bushes would last quite well but they seemed to die off quite suddenly.
The willow tree I had access to lost all it's leaves in November but there are two on the wrong side of the canal that still have green leaves, typical haha.

Unfortunately the council went and mowed the green way which probably would have Survived the winter quite well otherwise.

Back