• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My very skinny rabbit

avisccs

New Kit
Hi All

I've been noticing that my rabbit is really skinny. Now she is so skinny to the point that I can feel her back bone and hip bone. I am increasing worry about this.

She does not like grass or hay, but I noticed that if she doesn't eat grass, she would have bad stomach and I have to clean her bottom every day. So I try to force her to eat grass. I cut apple (used to be her favourite) into small slides and mixed it with finely cut grass and dust like hay (I use a blender so the hay is like dust). She then ate a bit, because she can't pick the grass/hay out from the apple. In the past month or two, she starts not eating the apples. It might be because of the taste of grass. She would only eat them if there is no other food. I also give her carrots, small amount of pellets and other veg. I really want her to eat grass which is good for her.

I think she become more skinny because she just doesn't eat things that she hates. She would rather not eat at all. She has hay all around her cage, but she would not eat them.

Is there anything which can replace grass?
Should I just force-feed her? This won't be a long term solution.
What can I do?

Hi All

I've been noticing that my rabbit is really skinny. Now she is so skinny to the point that I can feel her back bone and hip bone. I am increasing worry about this.

She does not like grass or hay, but I noticed that if she doesn't eat grass, she would have bad stomach and I have to clean her bottom every day. So I try to force her to eat grass. I cut apple (used to be her favourite) into small slides and mixed it with finely cut grass and dust like hay (I use a blender so the hay is like dust). She then ate a bit, because she can't pick the grass/hay out from the apple. In the past month or two, she starts not eating the apples. It might be because of the taste of grass. She would only eat them if there is no other food. I also give her carrots, small amount of pellets and other veg. I really want her to eat grass which is good for her.

I think she become more skinny because she just doesn't eat things that she hates. She would rather not eat at all. She has hay all around her cage, but she would not eat them.

Is there anything which can replace grass?
Should I just force-feed her? This won't be a long term solution.
What can I do?

She needs to be seen by a Vet ASAP. I suspect she has problems with her teeth, very common in Rabbits who do not eat hay/grass. If the Dental issues are not sorted out she will slowly starve to death :cry: So the best thing you can do for her is get her to a Vet

Good Luck

I agree, she needs to see a vet as soon as possible, before she goes into stasis.

But she is eatting other things. She ate the pellets, carrots etc, she just does not like grass or hay.

Would a rabbit with teeth problem do this?

They need Hay to keep their teeth from growing , if your bunny is as skinny as you are saying and you can feel his/her bones you need to get your bunny to a vet ASAP

But she is eatting other things. She ate the pellets, carrots etc, she just does not like grass or hay.

Would a rabbit with teeth problem do this?

Yes, it is usual for rabbits to go off hay but not all food when they have dental problems. If the problem is not treated, they start to eat less and less of other foods as well. She definitely needs to be seen by a good rabbit vet, for both the weightloss and the fact that she doesn't eat hay.

Keep a close eye on her, as bear in mind that if she stops eating completely her gut will stop (stasis), stasis is an emergency and can be fatal.

Yes, it is usual for rabbits to go off hay but not all food when they have dental problems. If the problem is not treated, they start to eat less and less of other foods as well. She definitely needs to be seen by a good rabbit vet, for both the weightloss and the fact that she doesn't eat hay.

Keep a close eye on her, as bear in mind that if she stops eating completely her gut will stop (stasis), stasis is an emergency and can be fatal.

I just went to check her teeth (front only because I can't see the back). They seems fine. Just like normal healthy ones as I saw from some websites. I also touch the side of her month and there is no swelling. She wasn't jumpy when I was touching.
I do agree to go to see a vet because of the weight lost and probably digestive system. Hopefully it won't cost me too much... and I'm a bit scared that her weight lost is all my fault. I might have feed her wrong or not giving her enoguh food.

Last edited:
I just went to check her teeth (front only because I can't see the back). They seems fine. Just like normal healthy ones as I saw from some websites. I also touch the side of her month and there is no swelling. She wasn't jumpy when I was touching.
I do agree to go to see a vet because of the weight lost and probably digestive system. Hopefully it won't cost me too much... and I'm a bit scared that her weight lost is all my fault. I might have feed her wrong or not giving her enoguh food.

It is the back teeth that need checking (they are the ones that normally cause problems) - the vet uses a special instrument to see them.

Hay is what keeps teeth and digestion in good order and should form 80-90% of the diet.

If a rabbit has a problem with teeth, hay is what they find difficult to eat.

I would advise taking your rabbit to a vet as soon as possible: the weight-loss is obviously not normal and needs to be investigated.

(What pellets and other food do you feed, and in what quantity?)

(What pellets and other food do you feed, and in what quantity?)

I don't really know what pellets they are. I usually just buy some random 'rabbit pellets' from pet shop. I know rabbits don't like to change diet, so I tend to mix the new with old before changing it. She still seems to have bad stomach every now and then. I do feed her bad things, such as bread stick. I know they are no good for her because there is not enough fiber, but she loves bread sticks. Also, I feed her seeds every now and then.

About 1/4 to half cup of pellet, 2 beans (4 inches long each), about 1 inch carrot slided, an apple core slided, little fresh grass finely chopped mixed with carrots and apple slides, sometimes other veg depends on what I have in the fridge.
If she doesn't finish her meal, I won't give her more, because I want to make sure she eats every thing.
I feed her twice per day. Is this the correct way? or should I re-new the food in her bowl?

On top, she has breadstick every now and then, some treats, some seeds, some sweets (yes, sweets, popcorn and chocolate! That's about once a week)... is she spoiled? and it cause her being fussy?

I used to have a rabbit who is overweight. I don't understand why this one is underweight. This rabbit never actually ate hay or grass even when she was a lot younger. I adopted her since she was about 1 years old and she is now about 3-4 years old. My last rabbit was so easily attracted by food, but this rabbit has never been interested in food.

We have a rabbit that has problems with his back teeth and they can't really even be examined properly when he's awake. He has to have a general anesthetic and have the teeth burred every so often. He was in very poor bodily condition when we took him on but has improved with regular treatment for his back teeth.

Please stop giving your rabbit chocolate, sweets, bread sticks etc, they aren't great for us so they wont be doing your bun any good. You will also need to cut back on carrots and apples as they are chock full of sugars and can cause gut problems.

There are tons of fantastic threads about nutrition on here, please read them and adjust your buns diet accordingly.

Her diet should be mainly hay, so if she isn't eating that it is a massive problem. She needs to go to a vet ASAP, as the other members have recommended previously.

Is she an outdoor bun?

I don't really know what pellets they are. I usually just buy some random 'rabbit pellets' from pet shop. I know rabbits don't like to change diet, so I tend to mix the new with old before changing it. She still seems to have bad stomach every now and then. I do feed her bad things, such as bread stick. I know they are no good for her because there is not enough fiber, but she loves bread sticks. Also, I feed her seeds every now and then.

About 1/4 to half cup of pellet, 2 beans (4 inches long each), about 1 inch carrot slided, an apple core slided, little fresh grass finely chopped mixed with carrots and apple slides, sometimes other veg depends on what I have in the fridge.
If she doesn't finish her meal, I won't give her more, because I want to make sure she eats every thing.
I feed her twice per day. Is this the correct way? or should I re-new the food in her bowl?

On top, she has breadstick every now and then, some treats, some seeds, some sweets (yes, sweets, popcorn and chocolate! That's about once a week)... is she spoiled? and it cause her being fussy?

I used to have a rabbit who is overweight. I don't understand why this one is underweight. This rabbit never actually ate hay or grass even when she was a lot younger. I adopted her since she was about 1 years old and she is now about 3-4 years old. My last rabbit was so easily attracted by food, but this rabbit has never been interested in food.

Does she have unlimited hay and/or grass available 24 hours a day? If not, she should have. It is important that a rabbit's gut doesn't get completely empty, as then it can stop (stasis) and this can be fatal.

Don't give her sweets, chocolate and popcorn - they are very bad for their tummies and corn can cause blockages in the gut. Also, large amounts of chocolate could cause her to have a fit and die. It isn't spoiling a rabbit to give them these, it is really bad for them and can cause gut problems like the ones she has been having.

Bread sticks aren't much better, they are unlikely to be fatal like the 3 above, but they are no good for her and may be stopping her eating the healthier food. Seeds aren't great but as an occasional treat they aren't that bad, as long as they are raw with no salt or anything added.

You are feeding a lot of fruit, and this can also cause gut problems. I would slowly reduce this and introduce some healthy greens instead - like basil, mint, watercress, rocket, dandelions, bramble leaves, spinach, parsley etc. Remember to only make one change at a time though, don't go introducing loads of new things at once, as this can do more harm than good. You also need to stick with one brand of pellets - preferably one with at least 19% crude fibre, from a good brand like Burgess Excel, Supreme or Oxbow. You can get special ones for rabbits with sensitive tummies.

You really do need to take her to see a vet, I'd ring up first thing tomorrow and make an appointment for tomorrow or the next day. From what you describe, I would suspect dental problems (likely the molars) and a sluggish and irritated gut, and these can be very serious problems if left untreated.

She probably won't eat hay cos she is getting all sorts of other things to eat. You really need to get a good pellet and stick to it and feed her 'good' veg like spring greens, savoy cabbage, herbs etc instead of carrot and apple.

Definitely no food like chocolate and popcorn.

A vet could check her over and hopefully she will be ok and just need a change of diet to help get the weight on and start her eating hay.

Good luck x

OP what country are you in?
That will help us to give you better advice but one key thing will not change wherever you are - that is your bun needs to see a vet.

Definately, definately needs to see a vet. Am sure she has got serious dental issues and is slowly starving to death and yep that will be your fault. I doubt you managed to have a proper look in her mouth at all with the right equipment and so it means nothing that you think what little bit you could see looked ok. She is probably so hungry and feeling so ill, poor thing that she is desperately trying to eat something but is just in so much pain. If you can't afford veterinary care for her, it would be kindest to sign her over to a rescue so that she can receive the help and care she needs, but hope you can manage to get her sorted yourself, although the longer you leave it, the more expensive it will become and the less chance she will have of recovery.

Please guys can we think how we word things :wave:

I do however echo what everybody is saying and your bunny needs to see a vet as it does sound like a rear tooth problem :)

Sounds like you are giving ya bunny LOADS of food but all the WRONG Things my first ever bunny before I knew anything about them eg what to feed them properly etc I killed my bunny with kindness because I was feeding him all the WRONG Things as you are doing now PLEASE take your bunny to a rabbit savvy vet before its too late :(

Looks like she is going to the vet then...
I will take her in this Wednesday.

I weighted her last night. She is only 2kg!

Looks like she is going to the vet then...
I will take her in this Wednesday.

I weighted her last night. She is only 2kg!

In the meantime, stop unhealthy treats straight away. I'd also invest in some treat hays instead, as she may prefer these. But don't chuck them out if they are rejected, she will likely take some time to get her gut moving properly and for her appetite for hay to get better.

What is her normal healthy weight?

Back