• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gone off Allen & Page

anamaria

Warren Scout
After I got a new bag a little while ago they started leaving more and more of it in their bowl until they weren't eating any at all. Thought maybe i had just got a bad bag so ordered another one and in the meantime they've been having the Wagg Bunny Brunch cos thats all i could get from the shop and they've been eating that fine. Just received the new bag of allen & page and they won't eat that either :? so now i've got two nearly full bags of it and not sure what to do. Has anyone else had problems with their bunnys going off Allen & Page recently?
Thanks
Zoe

You could mix the 2 so you won't have to waste it. If you try giving less I bet they would eat it all up because picky bunnies are usually overfed bunnies. How much do you give them?

They probably prefer the wagg, so are ignoring the allen and page, we give a mixture of 2 different allen and page premium and breeders and growers with a hifi mix and a couple of barley rings as a treat, we fed wagg at one point, but found the buns were getting porky on it and were leaving alot of wastage,

Now they eat all of their food now, we NEVER have any food left over now, they eat lots more hay on this diet and in general look a lot healthier with a high fibre diet

You could mix the 2 so you won't have to waste it. If you try giving less I bet they would eat it all up because picky bunnies are usually overfed bunnies. How much do you give them?

I have been feeding them the A&P recommended amount, not sure the exact amount without going and looking, they've been on it for nearly a year. I tried to persist with feeding the A&P when they first went off it but I eventually gave in cos it had started to get much colder and they live outside, do you think it would hurt to try again?

They probably prefer the wagg, so are ignoring the allen and page, we give a mixture of 2 different allen and page premium and breeders and growers with a hifi mix and a couple of barley rings as a treat, we fed wagg at one point, but found the buns were getting porky on it and were leaving alot of wastage,

Now they eat all of their food now, we NEVER have any food left over now, they eat lots more hay on this diet and in general look a lot healthier with a high fibre diet

How much of the Allen & Page do you feed them?

Last edited:
Normally the manufacturers recommend too much, we recommend an eggcup full per bunny per day, this way they then top up with hay and as they are outdoors they should be more than ready for their food. Are you giving them anything else?

Normally the manufacturers recommend too much, we recommend an eggcup full per bunny per day, this way they then top up with hay and as they are outdoors they should be more than ready for their food. Are you giving them anything else?

Ok, they have unlimited hay, they get a handful of redigrass usually every other day and their veg, which is a few leaves of spring green between the two of them plus a little of whatever else i happen to have in the house, like some carrot peelings or few bits of broccoli. I'll try giving them less to the allen and Page and see if i can get them back on them, thanks for the advice.

Well it is all mixed together, but in a normal black bin full of hifi I put 6 x 600ml jugs of breeders and growers, and 5 600ml of premium mix, and 1 600ml of Barley rings,so they dont get a lot really if I was to split a handful Id say it was an eggcup or 2, and a the rest is hifi, and as its winter and they are outside I fill bowls to overflowing and hide a bit around hutches to encourage natural foraging, but they have to dig through the hifi aswell for the food, I find it stops them from wolfing their food down, the hifi is added fibre for them, their is lots of different things to choose from for picky buns (all ours are mainly paired) they dont get bored with it, they get fed one meal a day in the evening, have ad lib hay in hayracks, and have some sort of greens or home made treats in the morning

We was feeding P@H pellets and Wagg mix, but they was not eating much hay, leaving lots of the smaller pellets in the bowls, and some had softer poos, I did some research and came across this mix of foods, and gave it a go, the price difference is great too, with the buns we have we were going through lots of food, P@H pellets were £14 and Wagg £11 for 15kg bags, B&G is £9 Premium £12 for 20kg and hifi £10 for a vacuum packed 15kg bag, barley rings are £9 for 20kg and they love them as treats too, so price is better, but most of all, the buns LOVE it

Oh and every so often we do a bin of readigrass mixed the same as the hifi, as a little change, but they dont like it as much as the hifi

I mix Allen&Page with Wagg Bunny Brunch. My bun somehow manages to pick every piece of Wagg and leaves the Allen&Page untill she's hungry... and there's nothing left to eat. Maybe Allen&Page just isn't as tasty despite it being healthy?

I mix Allen&Page with Wagg Bunny Brunch. My bun somehow manages to pick every piece of Wagg and leaves the Allen&Page untill she's hungry... and there's nothing left to eat. Maybe Allen&Page just isn't as tasty despite it being healthy?

Good point! These rabbits aren't stupid!

Back