• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can rabbits eat very dry yellow hay?

amrihab

New Kit
hello every one i live in Egypt there are no markets that sell hay or pet shops so there is a place i knew lately it sells hay the seller does not know what type of hay it is but it doesn't look green at all it is totally yellow and dry is it ok for my rabbit or i can just give it green trefoil and not give it hay. Will this be sufficient to feed my rabbit with some greens like carrots and cucumbers etc. thanks for help pls be quick and offer me help:D:)

I would think it would be fine. I go for green or golden hay and avoid anything that's brown.

hay is definatly needed no matter what the quality is like :) but are you sure it is hay and not straw?

Rabbits need hay in their diet for a couple of reasons, their teeth keep on growing through their whole lives! So the hay is to keep their teeth worn down nicely. It keeps their tummies going too, if the don't eat enough fiber their guts eventually slow down and they stop pooing. If we don't get their tummies started again quickly enough they can die :(

I'm not sure what treefoil is, it's not a word I have ever heard but your rabbit will appreciate a little bit of vegetable alongside the rest of their food :)

hay is definatly needed no matter what the quality is like :) but are you sure it is hay and not straw?

Rabbits need hay in their diet for a couple of reasons, their teeth keep on growing through their whole lives! So the hay is to keep their teeth worn down nicely. It keeps their tummies going too, if the don't eat enough fiber their guts eventually slow down and they stop pooing. If we don't get their tummies started again quickly enough they can die :(

I'm not sure what treefoil is, it's not a word I have ever heard but your rabbit will appreciate a little bit of vegetable alongside the rest of their food :)

what is straw how to know if it is hay or straw in egypt i think both of them have the same name and by the way the hay is between golden and brown i think also trefoil is called clover it is a green plant with green leafs and looks like lets say mint trees it is more or less in looks at the end is it ok for rabbits to eat just this hay with some vegetables and plants maybe some grass but not sure about that

Last edited:
This is straw

4a12dc0ac3d6545ac489be81adcb0822.jpg

This is a picture of hay

643d4add064e4e2285e6388889386119.jpg

Hi amrihab!!

Welcome!!!
Do you have any stables near you that maybe someone could give you Hay?

i hope you do find something for them to eat. It sounds like a nightmare for you..

Fee x

Hay is dried grass. It can be anything from green through to yellow in colour - as long as it smells OK and is not damp or mouldy, it will be OK for rabbits to eat. It should form the main part of a rabbit's diet (around 80%).

Straw is the dried stalks of cereal crops such as wheat, barley, oats. It is always yellow and more consistent in texture than grass / hay. The stalks are coarser and hollow when dry and tend to break up fairly readily. Grass / hay is tougher and difficult to break with your hands.

Some of the coarser grasses can look very like hay when dried but are OK to feed to rabbits.

If you can't get hay or grass of any description, straw can be eaten by rabbits but does not have the same nutritional value, so is generally used as bedding. It is not ideal, but you can feed other fresh greens if introduced slowly. You may also be able to get plain grass pellets from an animal food supplier.

My rabbits love clover as part of their diet, but it should be a supplement to grass or hay. Fibre is the most important part to keep their guts working normally. i don't know what other sources of fibre are available to you, but there are lists of safe plants to feed to rabbits on this forum. Lots of leaves are OK - some are not. Carrot tops are fine (the leafy bits), as are many other leaves from root vegetables and herbs - but you need to check each type is OK first.

What did the people who had your rabbits before you use? Maybe there are other rabbit keepers in your area that could help. Good luck.

I don't think straw has any nutritious goodness in for bunnys they really need hay for there teeth to stop them over growing and also to keep their guts working :)

I don't no if you could order offline from these places I get some of mine from these

http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/store/

http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/edibles/hay-grasses.html

http://www.hayforpets.co.uk/products.html

Instead of hay? No it is not. You should just order from here yes it is WorldWideWeb http://smallpetselect.com/timothy-hay/?gclid=CLm_hqLjnLQCFUWnPAodhRoA8w

Not sure links will help him much unless we can find a hay supplier that ships to egypt!!!

Asking the people you got your rabbits from where they got their hay from is a really good idea, as is trying to find a local stables, or failing that (if you are in a rural location which the lack of pet shops suggests you might be!) then is there anybody nearby who keeps sheep, or goats, would they know where you can get hay?

Good luck, hay really is very important for a bun,grass does the same thing, but if you were to feed grass you wold have to introduce it slowly to stop any tummy troubles forming!

Not sure links will help him much unless we can find a hay supplier that ships to egypt!!!

Asking the people you got your rabbits from where they got their hay from is a really good idea, as is trying to find a local stables, or failing that (if you are in a rural location which the lack of pet shops suggests you might be!) then is there anybody nearby who keeps sheep, or goats, would they know where you can get hay?

Good luck, hay really is very important for a bun,grass does the same thing, but if you were to feed grass you wold have to introduce it slowly to stop any tummy troubles forming!
But after she looks at the link she can look it up in her search engine and it should be Egypt.

Even if the hay is quite yellow it will be better than none, it will be low in nutrients but still have lots of fibre.

If you have a stables near by (for horses) that might be a good source.

The other thing is to feed fresh grass (introduce it slowly) which is just as good as hay.

Back