• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fascinated by rabbit eating habits

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
I've now had 2 chronically ill buns who've needed a wierd natural, forage only, diet for different reasons.
I would never ever advocate free feeding for a "normal" domestic rabbit diet, but it's the mainstay of managing my own buns' illness.
I thought that Thumper was just very good at knowing what he needed. He managed his gradually failing GI system to perfection & in a way which I could never have attained. I'd get 12-24 hours warning that his tummy was causing problems by what he ate, & be able to adjust his medication on that basis. When I researched what he chose from a variety of forage plants, I found that every single one of them had properties, of fibre content or medicinal properties of maximal benefit to his gut.

Benjie is a snuffles bun. My 1st surpise was that when he arrived I was going to manage his very mild dysbiosis with a hay only diet, but he raided the box of blackthorn leaves, & cured his dysbiosis within 2-3 days. No interest in blackthorn after that for several months.
Interest was resumed for about a week, during which time he passed a few very dead pin worms. (There were no signs he had any pin worms before that.)

He settled down to a diet very similar to Thumper which was scary, until further research told me that everything he ate had antibiotic properties, helped to clear thick mucus from the airways, or had NSAID's in it.
I gave him a good selection of forage at the beginning. He'd respond by chinning it = "yep that's rabbit food", trying a little, & then either gradually "go for it"

Recently he was terrified by house vibration from nearby building work. He had serious gut slowdown & his snuffles flared up quite badly.
He stopped eating any pellets whatsoever, started to eat 1st willow (giving me a clue that he needed his metacam) then hawthorn then blackthorn only. He got through the week without needing any meds for stasis.
Once through his stasis he's back, on his natural ABx in plantains, & his snuffles is improving without need for medical ABx.

He does similar with his meds - just bisolvon, & echinacea daily both taken avidly from a basil leaf. He's more eager to take medicated basil than plain basil. It took him a few days to get used to metacam, which he laps from my palm, (so I know how much he's taken). He's very eager to take it just before his discharge increases, then gradually wanes off as the snuffles comes under control.

I'm absolutely astounded by how he's treated his dysbiosis, pin worms, controls his snuffles, & avoided stasis, simply by changing his diet himself.

So I'm thinking that when offered natural foods, both my buns either instinctively know what helps when they're ill, or in some cases try things out, & rapidly work out what helps.
I wonder whether any one else has noticed this?

It always amazes me cos mine will just eat everything, like bulls in edible china shops!

It always amazes me cos mine will just eat everything, like bulls in edible china shops!

This is what fascinates me, because I hear it often on RU. Maybe you've got very healthy buns who feel good all the time so it doesn't matter what they eat :)

This is what fascinates me, because I hear it often on RU. Maybe you've got very healthy buns who feel good all the time so it doesn't matter what they eat :)

Well Smudge has his stasis, Mini her dysbiosis and Nutmeg her snuffles!! Maybe they each eat something different!

Maybe it's something that is just more clear when they are unwell and eating less - they only pick out what they really want where as normally they just eat everything :lol: Scamp was very keen on raspberry leaves when he had a bit of stasis after raiding the bin. He'll eat them normally anyway but he was definitely turning his nose up at other options he'd usually eat with gusto.

Maybe it's something that is just more clear when they are unwell and eating less - they only pick out what they really want where as normally they just eat everything :lol: Scamp was very keen on raspberry leaves when he had a bit of stasis after raiding the bin. He'll eat them normally anyway but he was definitely turning his nose up at other options he'd usually eat with gusto.

I find with Smudge when he's coming out of stasis it's always the foragey things he goes for before any hay or pellets or even treats.

I find with Smudge when he's coming out of stasis it's always the foragey things he goes for before any hay or pellets or even treats.

So Smudge does do it when he's poorly.

Yes, Tamsin, I think it's almost impossible to notice what's going on with more than 1 bun & illness where they are perfectly normal inbetween.
Again I wouldn't actively advise it, because I think that by far the majority of buns are far better off in pairs. As you know, I've had 2 single buns because of their illnesses.
It's very easy for me to know what they are eating, as I top up the food bowls as they empty. When there's a marked change to one feed only, I may need a bunny "reminder", although I probably check every 3-4 hours.

In the wild there must be intense competition for the very rare higher nutrient plants. I wondered whether this would confer a significant stamina/fitness advantage on wildies. Perhaps enabling them to climb higher in their social heirarchy?

I was reflecting how there was a warren maybe 200yards from our house, & every Spring one ot two buns would risk crossing the open field for our "human veg". They were excellent at burrowing under the chicken wire fence. We didn't sink it deep enough.:roll:
Interestingly they only did it when the seedlings were young in relatively early Spring. They stayed away once there was rich pasture.
I suspect it's "instinctive/preprogrammed behaviour" to preferentially seek the higher nutrient veges & pellets, but some buns learn not to do so if the adverse effects are sufficiently frequent.

I also wonder whether more than one bun introduces an element of competition for the rationed foods which might override "sensible eating"?

Elena I'm not advising, simply wondering whether Smudge & Mini would manage to control their gut problems if you threw a few bunny safe leaves in with their hay? If they start to disappear it's just a matter of adding a bit more next time. The "snuffles plants" are good nutrient value for the wild. I suspect that all 3 buns would go for them preferentially. Simply not feasable!!!

I hope people realise that in no way am I saying that what I do is even necessary for healthy buns. I only do it to this extent because I believe that it reduces my bun's need for meds. & helps them to be more effective.

Last edited:
So Smudge does do it when he's poorly.

Yes, Tamsin, I think it's almost impossible to notice what's going on with more than 1 bun & illness where they are perfectly normal inbetween.
Again I wouldn't actively advise it, because I think that by far the majority of buns are far better off in pairs. As you know, I've had 2 single buns because of their illnesses.
It's very easy for me to know what they are eating, as I top up the food bowls as they empty. When there's a marked change to one feed only, I may need a bunny "reminder", although I probably check every 3-4 hours.

In the wild there must be intense competition for the very rare higher nutrient plants. I wondered whether this would confer a significant stamina/fitness advantage on wildies. Perhaps enabling them to climb higher in their social heirarchy?

I was reflecting how there was a warren maybe 200yards from our house, & every Spring one ot two buns would risk crossing the open field for our "human veg". They were excellent at burrowing under the chicken wire fence. We didn't sink it deep enough.:roll:
Interestingly they only did it when the seedlings were young in relatively early Spring. They stayed away once there was rich pasture.
I suspect it's "instinctive/preprogrammed behaviour" to preferentially seek the higher nutrient veges & pellets, but some buns learn not to do so if the adverse effects are sufficiently frequent.

I also wonder whether more than one bun introduces an element of competition for the rationed foods which might override "sensible eating"?

Elena I'm not advising, simply wondering whether Smudge & Mini would manage to control their gut problems if you threw a few bunny safe leaves in with their hay? If they start to disappear it's just a matter of adding a bit more next time. The "snuffles plants" are good nutrient value for the wild. I suspect that all 3 buns would go for them preferentially. Simply not feasable!!!

I hope people realise that in no way am I saying that what I do is even necessary for healthy buns. I only do it to this extent because I believe that it reduces my bun's need for meds. & helps them to be more effective.

Yes I guess he does!

Since they've been bonded I've been taking my special pot to the forage drawers and then I empty that in their hay. They know though that when I go over to the drawers in the evening it usually means they're getting forage, as soon as I open the drawers they are over like a flash! Then I put that in their litter tray and they all pile in (literally).

They've been pretty good stomach wise recently. I've realised now that it was Mischa who was leaving some cecals marks earlier on in the year as it's been virtually non-existant since I lost him :)cry:) There were a few just after he died but Mini wasn't eating properly, understandably. Now they get forage more or less every day I've had no problem with smeared cecals at all. I guess what one eats first is different to another so maybe they are doing it without me realising. Hopefully we won't have any Smudge stasis episodes for a while.

:lol: Judy it's the only time they sit still enough for a photo together!

d13ef7a26dc70a1559b69a8a4a794e20.jpg

e757bd76282c457f9b5e7735491c117b.jpg

And raiding a forage box from parsnipbun

Back