• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding Hutches

Daniel

Alpha Buck
I know you lot don't agree with this, but what would you say should be the size?

I've been asked to make some, so I've recommended 6ft x 2ft x 2ft, just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Yep, any rabbit, whether for breeding or a pet, should have the minimum welfare guidelines.

For large breed rabbits, they would need larger. To be honest, personally, I'd want a bigger than 6ft hutch for a doe and a litter, as a breeder hutch is not going to have a run attached, unless only to the bottom one. But yes, the minimum that you could ethically have is 6x2ft.

Yep, any rabbit, whether for breeding or a pet, should have the minimum welfare guidelines.

For large breed rabbits, they would need larger. To be honest, personally, I'd want a bigger than 6ft hutch for a doe and a litter, as a breeder hutch is not going to have a run attached, unless only to the bottom one. But yes, the minimum that you could ethically have is 6x2ft.
I agree.:)

I think 6ft for average rabbits, and 5ft for Nethies and Polish. I know they are more active, but they are also half the size.

Breeding covers a variety of things eg you might need bigger hutches if your housing a mum and a half a dozen 6 week old youngsters than a single adult. Also depends on the amount of exercises time.

The good news is that the customer has requested the size to be bigger and wants to have 3 in each.

They may be expecting to place dividers in the hutch, e.g. is it's 9ft long, each rabbit will only have 3ft space. :( Hopefully not though and thank goodness they came to someone like you for hutches!

They may be expecting to place dividers in the hutch, e.g. is it's 9ft long, each rabbit will only have 3ft space. :( Hopefully not though and thank goodness they came to someone like you for hutches!
:wave:

I'm not supplying any dividers and if i do, it be for one to give a bedroom area with a large hole in. So far the total is 5 hutches, size currently unknown, looking at 7x2x2 depending on room size.

Back