• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice? Vet chose food for Barney- Excel Sensitive

nessar

Warren Veteran
So further to my last thread on high-fibre pellets, I submitted the nutritional info on the different pellets that may be suitable to one of my vets (I have two that see Barney).

Background info: Barney had bad weightloss for a year that a few months ago after moving to this (much better) vets was successfully diagnosed as likely being due to a gut problem, the gut being inflamed and moving sluggishly. We have been treating with 2ml Metclopramide (gut stimulant) twice daily and reducing pellets to make him eat more hay, and it has been working. Previously I was just feeding him more and more Junior pellets in order to get him to try and maintain weight. Now he is at a safe weight and on 3 tbs pellets a day, but we need to change him over to Adult pellets really.

She rang me and explained that long fibre was one of the most important things to keep his gut healthy, but that hay was the main source of this. She said that Excel was a really good brand and that their new Sensitive food looked like the best one to try. I asked about the VetCare Digestive but she said that whilst it would be her second choice, if he was eating lots of hay he wouldn't need a fibre % that high, and to try the Excel Senstive first. She agreed that the VetCare Digestive would have more long fibre, and such a food would go some way to compensate for low hay consumption, but that we needed to focus on getting him to eat more hay, and again said to try the Excel first.

She knows her stuff - whilst she is not the vet that finally diagnosed the problem (which baffled 3 other vets, and had been going on for over a year), she is the one I have seen most (3 or 4 times) with Barney in the few months I've been with that practice, and seems good. She is currently studying the Certificate in Advanced Veterinary Practice in Zoological Veterinary Medicine, so I guess is more qualified in rabbits than an average vet.

I was hoping she would choose one of the Supreme foods, VetCare Digestive or Fibafirst seemed obvious choices. But she chose Excel Sensitive, and I'm not sure why :? I think because it gives enough fibre to be good for his gut, and is a good brand. Perhaps she trusts the brand Burgess more than Supreme. But I just can't see why it is better, surely more long fibre is better? Is there something I'm missing here?

It also confuses and concerns me that the main ingredient in the Excel Sensitive is not hay, but Soya Bean Hulls, with Lucerne Oat Husks being second biggest. Lucerne is alfalfa, but why is it not first in the ingredients... see here for nutritional info: http://www.burgesspetcare.co.uk/excelfeedingplan/about-the-feeding-plan/sensitive-nuggets.html To be honest, I haven't liked Burgess ever since they brought out those 'complete' cubes, as I think they are putting profits before welfare in the way they market them as not needing extra hay, so I think that is playing a part here and part of why I don't want to get it.

Long story short, I don't know whether to go with my thoughts, which are that the Vetcare Digestive is the best option, or trust her judgement over my own as she is, after all, trained in animal medicine. I just want to do the best by Barney, and get him better. She is the professional - should I go with the food she thinks will be best?

I'd be tempted to give her suggestion a try for one packet and see if there's an improvement. If there isn't, or not much then is consider going back to the drawing board.

I'd be tempted to give her suggestion a try for one packet and see if there's an improvement. If there isn't, or not much then is consider going back to the drawing board.

Hmm this is what I'm considering, thanks :)

If you've exhausted everything else, then yeah, go for it.

We've accidentally found a really good feed for Ginger.

SS Mature. Sounds crazy for a rabbit who is only 2, but my god is it working for her.

It contains several 'forage' ingredients over regular SS, and it also contains the one key item, that both myself, my vet and Sky-O agree is really helping... Vitamin C supplement, which is well known as a immune system booster.

Bar her stomach issues which it does not help, it's got her into a really good condition. She's over 1.8Kg's now and stable, slightly less than your average dwarf lop, but she is a lionlop with no lion gene showing and has other genetic issues and her snuffles are 'controlled' since we did it. Within a week we started to notice the difference.

I would NEVER have considered it if it wasn't coincidence that we got it, as it was won as a prize in the Rabbitless Rabbit Show.

Just goes to show that food CAN and DOES make a HUGE difference for certain bunnies.

Like I say, if you have no further avenues to explore, you have nothing to lose.

Good luck and vibes for Barney!

If you've exhausted everything else, then yeah, go for it.

We've accidentally found a really good feed for Ginger.

SS Mature. Sounds crazy for a rabbit who is only 2, but my god is it working for her.

It contains several 'forage' ingredients over regular SS, and it also contains the one key item, that both myself, my vet and Sky-O agree is really helping... Vitamin C supplement, which is well known as a immune system booster.

Bar her stomach issues which it does not help, it's got her into a really good condition. She's over 1.8Kg's now and stable, slightly less than your average dwarf lop, but she is a lionlop with no lion gene showing and has other genetic issues and her snuffles are 'controlled' since we did it. Within a week we started to notice the difference.

I would NEVER have considered it if it wasn't coincidence that we got it, as it was won as a prize in the Rabbitless Rabbit Show.

Just goes to show that food CAN and DOES make a HUGE difference for certain bunnies.

Like I say, if you have no further avenues to explore, you have nothing to lose.

Good luck and vibes for Barney!

Well we havent really exhausted any options yet. Whilst he has had the weightloss problem for over a year, the vets at that practice didnt know the problem, or misdiagnosed it as dental problems (we now think the stopping eating of hay was possibly pain from gas, not teeth) and the next vet didnt know either. I was treating it with diet, by feeding high calorie foods and 50-75g junior pellets daily - in fact I was almost forcing them into him. It was only diagnosed as gut problems 2 or 3 months ago, when I changed vet, so we havent really exhausted any options yet. The gut problems are mainly inflammation, fluid and gas in the gut, but he has other problems too.

The new vets recommended the opposite to what I had been doing. I was to reduce the pellets and have quite a plain, low sugar diet, the plan being that if we decrease the pellets he would increase the amount of hay he eats, and hopefully improve gut health through diet. He also has metaclopramide twice daily and a scoop of profibre. It worked, and despite being on about a third of the pellets he was, he was 3.52kg at last weighing, which is healthy. Ideally I want him at 3.6kg. The lowest he has ever been was last winter when he had his incontinence, he was 3.15kg and really thin.

So now the plan is to change him slowly onto an Adult pellet, and also reduce pellets a bit further. Which is why choosing the right food is so important, as we are mainly treating this problem with diet, as that seems to be a main cause. After we have the diet right, we are going to run blood tests and have an xray again, to see how much things have improved.

There is no harm in trying it if your vet has agreed.

The only thing I will say would be to be extra vigilant about checking his weight. I know all buns react differently to differnt feeds but all my healthy buns lost weight and condition on this so in a bun who already has weight issues I'd keep an extra close eye.

There is no harm in trying it if your vet has agreed.

The only thing I will say would be to be extra vigilant about checking his weight. I know all buns react differently to differnt feeds but all my healthy buns lost weight and condition on this so in a bun who already has weight issues I'd keep an extra close eye.

They lost weight on Excel Sensitive?

Yes and I only feed my lot minimal pellets so I was quite surprised that it had such an effect.

But as I said everybun is different and this food may be perfect for your bunny so I would still be open to trying it I'd just be extra vigilant.

Just a thought, have you/your vet considered supreme vetcare digestive?

Or if he's having absorbsion probs what about suplimenting with pro fibre pellets they were brilliant for Bluebell when he lost weight due to an ongoing illness.

Last edited:
I know this might not be relevant to your situation, but my 2 have done really well on excel sensitive. I changed to it when misfit had stasis and *touches wood* she hasn't had it again since. I believe that is due to a combination of factors but the pellets I'm sure is one of the reasons.

I know all buns are different but wanted to give you a positive viewpoint of it. :)

Back