• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Readigrass...

Can I try and give a tip?

Don't give 'treats' as treats.

Use pellets. A single pellet can be used as a treat, we do it here ALL the time. That way, its something fairly healthy (fibre+minerals+vitamins).

:)

I would definitely cut out the alfalfa hay completely, it's not good for fully grown, healthy bunnies, is hugely fattening (much more so than readigrass) but just as importantly it's extremely high in calcium. Coupled with other calcium rich foods like carrot tops, they will be at enormously increased risk of developing kidney/bladder stones, as bunnies excrete excess calcium through their bladders.

It looks to me as if the diet you're giving is generally pretty good, hopefully it should only need a bit of tweaking of quantities and cut out alfalfa and sugary treats and hopefully their weights will remain stable. Good luck x

Tried that - too lazy. They don't even really bother. Plus if I'm not giving them treats that won't get me very far!

Sorry, I should have explained that more :) I put the normal daily ration of dry food in the treat ball and don't have a food bowl. That way they have to work harder for their pellets and if they can't be bothered, well that just helps encourage them to fill up on hay instead.

I scatter feed one small handful of pellets for each pair morning (and night in the winter)...partly through lazyness on my part because it saves me washing up more food bowls and partly because it is better for them in my opinion :)

Back