• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how much hay?

belgian2

Alpha Buck
curious as to how much other peoples rabbits eat- i wouldn't dream of limiting my lots hay but they do seem to eat a hell of a lot!
I have 2 young belgian hare bucks and a dwarf lop. between the three of them they get through one and a half BIG black builders buckets rammed down with hay daily plus 2 cups of pellets plus forage cut for them (mostly bamboo this time of year) plus one carrot between three a couple of times a week. no one looks fat.
I am staggered at their shere capacity and no longer surprised farmers are not keen on rabbits!

If i were buying those prepacked bags of hay they sell at supermarket the bag wouldn't last one day...

A bale a month. :thumb: Or those gardening tubs, one of those every two days. More hay the better :D

I'm using a bale probably every 2 weeks maybe a week and a half between 7 buns and 7 piggies...using a lot for bedding because its so cold...

My buns have (usually) unlimited hay, unless they get through it faster than I can put it out :lol: That works out to be about a handful the size of the rabbit I reckon? Which is what my vet suggested to me, but the more hay, the better! :D Wild rabbits have unlimited access to grass so why shouldn't domestic rabbits have the equivalent of hay? :D

lovely to watch isn't it? I really enjoy watching my rabbits tuck into their hay with such concentrated determination and such a glorious smell fresh hay. it just amazes me how much they can put away! wish I enjoyed healthy food as much as they clearly do

I've gone through half a bale in a fortnight for 2 buns. I change their hay and litter tray twice daily.

I have 9 buns and 2 piggies, they eat about a bale a week, thank god for the local farm if I had to buy pet shop stuff I'd be bankrupt.

2 buns, 10Kg of hay every 2 - 2.5 weeks.

Thats this much hay;

IMG_7188-small.jpg

Last edited:
Back