• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not eating

Faye E

New Kit
Hi I have two male rabbits. They have a bowl of food each and normally eat it all along with them hay. For the past couple of weeks I have noticed that they do not appear to be eating their pellet food. I did give them the muesli type food for a few days. Since this they don't appear to be eating the pellet food. Do you think that I need to take them to a vet or try them on different pellet food. I don't really want to give them muesli food due to selective eating. They have never had a problem eating before. They are fine with their fruit and veg treats and still eat their hay. I am just concerned their maybe something wrong. They are due a check up at the vet but want to make sure it is not urgent.

Thanks

How old are they?
What are their poos like, do you have a picture?
How much hay are they eating? A pile the size of themselves a day, or less?
How much (in grams if you can) are they eating of the pellet food?

They don't need a whole bowl each if they are adult, they need about an eggcup or two tablespoons each daily, as 80-95% of their diet should be hay, but any change in eating habits is a cause for concern, and especially if they are used to a high-pellet diet, which would cause them to eat less hay, which would in turn make them more vulnerable to gut and dental problems.

Just to add to this, you should never make sudden changes to a rabbit's diet, so please don't keep chopping and changing with giving them museli - stick to the pellets and make any changes very slowly.

They are both 2 years. It is the only time I have switched their diet. One off as I couldn't get their normal food. They do normally eat quite a lot of food and a lot of hay. I have just noticed they are not eating as much pellet food. They don't appear to be losing any weight. They are both quite big lol eared rabbits.

They are both 2 years. It is the only time I have switched their diet. One off as I couldn't get their normal food. They do normally eat quite a lot of food and a lot of hay. I have just noticed they are not eating as much pellet food. They don't appear to be losing any weight. They are both quite big lol eared rabbits.

The recommended amount of pellets is an eggcupful a day (each - is that what you are feeding?

They could be holding out for muesli mix. I had terrible trouble getting Mischa to eat pellets when he'd been on mix for a couple of years. The mix is full of sweet but unhealthy things, bit like feeding children sweets for ages and then asking them to eat some fruit.

Are they eating something because if they aren't eating anything that is cause for concern and a trip to the vets ASAP.

What size rabbits have an egg cup a day? They are very large rabbits.

Maybe they are just holding out for muesli. I am going to take them to vets for a check up so will get them to check them out. They are eating plenty of hay.

Their poos are normal

Can you take a picture? I just ask as many people's perception of what is normal when it comes to rabbit poos, whilst it is normal for their rabbits, is not actually normal and can even indicate problems. When food or diet is involved, checking the poo properly is essential, as that will give you many answers regarding what they are eating and their gut health.

For future cases, it is best to feed no pellet food at all for a couple of days (as long as they're eating their hay well of course) if you run out, rather than feed a different brand. I know it seems like I'm being overcautious, but it can cause big gut problems, and it can even cause diarrhea or stasis (when the gut stops and the rabbit stops eating), both of which can be fatal.

What size rabbits have an egg cup a day? They are very large rabbits.

Maybe they are just holding out for muesli. I am going to take them to vets for a check up so will get them to check them out. They are eating plenty of hay.

That is the recommended amount for most rabbits. The main part of their diet should be good quality hay (about 80-90%). Are their poos very large and golden?

Back