• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rocky's poo..is this normal?

Lady Logamorph

Mama Doe
Hi everyone, Rocky has recently been doing poos that are stuck together or even sometimes joined together. They do have some hair in but also seems like there are some strands of hay making them join together like its not been properly digested? He had a molar spur dental a few months back and has snuffles on occasion so had had 3 long courses of antibiotics in the past year. Is this normal or something going on I need to get checked out? He is eating/drinking normal etc.

8241270274_a895fa4ef8.jpg

They look slightly wet to me, unless thats just the flash bouncing.

The fact they are strung up a little is actually good, as it means the gut is passing fur that is being ingested via grooming.

If they are very soft and wet, that would suggest a mild dysbiosis, slight upset gut balance and you would be best off limiting the diet to as much hay as possible and cutting out 'treats' and 'greens' etc temporarily (up to a couple of months).

The faecal top right (long and what appears to be wet and barely formed) is the one that makes me think mild dysbiosis.

Thanks Graham, they are very slightly wet. Do you think its worth me giving him some fibreplex or recovery food? I will cut out his veg and see if his poops return to normal.

Thanks Graham, they are very slightly wet. Do you think its worth me giving him some fibreplex or recovery food? I will cut out his veg and see if his poops return to normal.

For dysbiosis that mild (in my opinion, i am no vet, just going on my experience with Ginger!) i wouldn't give anything new, but cut out the veg (do you feed a lot?) and stick to just hay hay hay for a good couple of weeks at minimum and see how you're getting on after that.

Is bun a good hay eater?

Yes he is a good hay eater I top up the hay rack 3 times a day. I do give them veg twice a day with their pellets and its normally a bit of celery, a cabbage leaf each and a small bit of carrot or apple twice a day. Is that too much do you think?

Sorry no advice on poo but just wanted to ask Gray how Ginger is. Sorry to hijack your thread!

Yes he is a good hay eater I top up the hay rack 3 times a day. I do give them veg twice a day with their pellets and its normally a bit of celery, a cabbage leaf each and a small bit of carrot or apple twice a day. Is that too much do you think?

I'd say you're giving too much, personally.

Carrot and apple are both VERY high in sugar and can easily cause gut dysbiosis, i wouldnt feed them at all. A whole leaf of cabbage each also seems a little too much to me. If you want to feed things that are greens, herbs such as parsley/coriander etc are much better, but dont add anything new for now until the gut issue has cleared up. Slowly cut down on the veg to pellets+hay only and see how they get on, then slowly reintroduce bits and leave for 3-4 days after each item to see how it affects the gut.

For me (and i know this is against the thoughts of many) but i only feed other things like herbs, as a treat rather than part of a daily diet. Daily diet is nothing but a few pellets each and unlimited, good quality hay here :)

Doughnut doesn't get any veg. She is only a small amount of pellets and hay only too. She has dill sometimes as that's good for gas and also bramble leaves which are good for digestion.

Thanks guys, I suspected I was feeding too much veg its just they like it and they stand in the doorway in the kitchen staring at me when I'm cooking waiting to see if I have any spare veg treats! I did notice that when I gave Rocky some rocket a few weeks ago he had terrible diarrhoea so I gave him some fibreplex which sorted him out and never gave them rocket again. I think he may have a bit of a sensitive tum as it is. What about his wife? She is fine on veg. Shall I feed them separate and still give her some veg?

Thanks guys, I suspected I was feeding too much veg its just they like it and they stand in the doorway in the kitchen staring at me when I'm cooking waiting to see if I have any spare veg treats! I did notice that when I gave Rocky some rocket a few weeks ago he had terrible diarrhoea so I gave him some fibreplex which sorted him out and never gave them rocket again. I think he may have a bit of a sensitive tum as it is. What about his wife? She is fine on veg. Shall I feed them separate and still give her some veg?

Nah, she doesnt *need* it, perhaps just give her a little every now and again as a treat. Rabbits will always just beg whatever time of the day it is or whatever it is you are doing.

Totally up to you though :)

The waste poohs are shaped like that cos they've got fur or other long non- food fibre eg carpet in them. They're called either fur balls or trichobezoars.
That being said, it's very important to get their diet right as others have posted.
Also if the bun is moulting or their partner bun is moulting to groom out as much fur as you can.

The waste poohs are shaped like that cos they've got fur or other long non- food fibre eg carpet in them. They're called either fur balls or trichobezoars.
That being said, it's very important to get their diet right as others have posted.
Also if the bun is moulting or their partner bun is moulting to groom out as much fur as you can.

I have dissected a few of the poos and it does have some fur in it but also some hay strands which I was a bit concerned about? They are on wood flooring so no carpet to access. I was worried he wasn't digesting the hay properly for some reason and they were coming out in long strands. I was also worried he wasn't chewing the hay as well as he should for some reason maybe because he had a dental for molar spurs a bit ago. Although the vet said they were only small spurs. Saying that since I cut out his veg yesterday his poops look much better. Thanks though I will give them a brush each day to remove any loose fur.

I have dissected a few of the poos and it does have some fur in it but also some hay strands which I was a bit concerned about? They are on wood flooring so no carpet to access. I was worried he wasn't digesting the hay properly for some reason and they were coming out in long strands. I was also worried he wasn't chewing the hay as well as he should for some reason maybe because he had a dental for molar spurs a bit ago. Although the vet said they were only small spurs. Saying that since I cut out his veg yesterday his poops look much better. Thanks though I will give them a brush each day to remove any loose fur.

:oops: sorry I lost concentration. Do you think the long fibre could be celery fibre - those long stringy bits through the ridges just under the skin? Normal bunnies find this difficult to chew. Quite a few people don't feed celery because of this.

:oops: sorry I lost concentration. Do you think the long fibre could be celery fibre - those long stringy bits through the ridges just under the skin? Normal bunnies find this difficult to chew. Quite a few people don't feed celery because of this.

oooh thats a thought I do give them celery I cut it up but in inch long pieces or so. I didnt give him any yesterday though and his poos seemed ok!

Back