• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do you feed your rabbits?

Oh I remember that, didnt realise it was you! Did you end up keeping all the babies then? Are the babies you have now new additions that you bought then, or from accidental litters within the group?

Did you manage to get your setup sorted in the end? I assume you have them in some sort of shed or aviary now, as you have so many in one group?

Well we managed to find homes for three of the boys at a rescue centre nearby, but we were on a very long waiting list! Now we have one boy left who we plan to bond with a girl then either keep or rehome them as a pair.

As for the new babies, guess who also brought these ones along? My friend again! :evil: We went away for a week and as they live literally down the road I asked my friend to look after the rabbits. The day I came back, I checked the hutch to give hay and straw and it was completely soaked and filthy! I asked my friend and she said that the hutch roof 'fell' off one night after she gave them hay and she found it on the floor the next morning. But as the boy was free ranging that day..well you can guess the rest :?

And the setup, we managed to get a free dog kennel from our local free-cycle and a couple of second hand hutches that we did up. :D They have 3 large wire runs and a wooden run with an extra 6ft of pen when my daughter gets home from school, then free range when I get home about 4 times a week. We have also bought a 4ft x 4ft playhouse which we are now doing up, but it is taking ages because my husband keeps having to go away on business and I have zero DIY skills :lol:

1 and a bit handfulls each, that's with tiny hands just grabbing what they can, so it's not much at all although still quite a bit more than an eggcup. I'll admit they don't get unlimited hay, simply because three living in one hutch with hay passing straight through them means a heck of a lot of mess, and I don't have the time to clean the entire awkward hutch every day, they're all fine digsetion and teeth wise

1 and a bit handfulls each, that's with tiny hands just grabbing what they can, so it's not much at all although still quite a bit more than an eggcup. I'll admit they don't get unlimited hay, simply because three living in one hutch with hay passing straight through them means a heck of a lot of mess, and I don't have the time to clean the entire awkward hutch every day, they're all fine digsetion and teeth wise

Okay, I may have to decrease their pellets then, just feel a bit mean doing it now, as it's getting so much colder :?

Hay is the most important part of a rabbit's diet and it really does need to be unlimited. Perhaps I've misunderstood - do you mean you ration the hay to decrease the droppings?

12g to 14g of pellets split into breakfast and tea then unlimited hay sometimes they get a treat or 2. I also feed them a generous handful of dried grass

Mine all get different amounts..

Poppy & Daisy, Rosie & Bertie get a handful of pellets each morning and evening between each pair and unlimited fresh meadow hay.
Lucky and Hope get two handfuls morning and evening between them both as they are larger buns and fresh unlimited meadown hay.
Willow and Molly get four handfuls between them morning and evening as they are growing baby french lops and fresh unlimited meadow hay.

All buns get a handful of something fresh (herbs/spring greens etc) between each pair with their tea time pellets :)

Peters 7 months and he gets 15g pellets at 8am ( increased from 12g due to winter) , unlimited hay throughout day/night and a handful greens/herbs at 5pm

I've slightly increased Bugsy's food intake, but it's mainly the hay I have increased. I've noticed on really cold days he tends to eat it all rather quickly, and on milder days he doesn't eat as much and he sleeps on it instead haha

No carrots? No parsley? No basil? Celery isn't good for rabbits last I checked.

Carrots are very sugary and therefore not good. I think they can have celery, but has to be cut up really fine. Leafy green veg are best.

Well yeah I feed him other things I just didn't want to list everything. I looked at a chart where it says what rabbits can and can't eat it said that celery is good for them.:thumb:

Back