• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Allen & Page / Chudleys

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm making a giant chart of rabbit food brands/varieties but I can't find the calcium/phosphorous values for Allen&Page or Chudley Rabbit Royal anywhere online... anyone got a bag they could read them off for me?

Thanks

This was posted on a thread 4 years ago, not sure if there have been any changes since then

I enquired a while back about the contents of A and P. I got a lovely email back with a PDF on the contents etc.
I'll post the main bits here....

Made from natural, wholesome ingredients –including mint, alfalfa, grass, linseed and oat fibre –these pellets are completely balanced, with all the vitamins and minerals your rabbit needs. Designed for pet rabbits or as a maintenance diet for any adult rabbit, pellets should be fed with plenty of hay and constant access to clean fresh water. Protexin is included to assist gut health and boost the immune system, by ensuring a healthy balance of micro-organisms in the rabbit’s digestive system.
Protein 12.0 % Oil (A) 3.3 %Fibre 23.0 % Moisture13.8 %Ash 11.0 %Copper 9.00 mg/kgVitamin A 8,000 iu/kgVitamin D 1,000 iu/kgVitamin E 60 iu/kg as Alpha Tocopherolas acetate

The average rabbit will require 50-100g per day. Feed with forage

Protexin may enhance digestion by improving the balance of beneficial gut microflora

IngredientsIngredients by descending weight(25%-40%) Oat Fibre, (10%-25%) Grass Meal, Cereal Straw (treated), Wheat Feed, (<10%) beans and linseed, Organic Alfalfa, Calcium Carbonate, Molasses, Di-Calcium Phosphate, Soya oil, Supp 2, Protexin, Mint

I have a 20kg sack of Chudleys, I'll post the list of ingredients later. Sack is down the garage, I am in me jim jams atm :D

Ooh I've done the same recently Tamsin, although I also couldn't find the answer to that. I was only doing pellet foods though so havent done RR.

A&P natural rabbit pellets
Made from natural, wholesome ingredients including mint, alfalfa, grass, linseed and oat fibre these pellets are completely balanced, with all the vitamins and minerals your rabbit needs. Designed for pet rabbits or as a maintenance diet for any adult rabbit, these pellets should be fed with plenty of hay and constant access to clean fresh water. Protexin is included to assist gut health and boost the immune system, by ensuring a healthy balance of micro-organisms in the rabbit's digestive system. COMPOSITION Oil 3.25% Protein 12.00 Fibre 23.00%,HIGH FIBRE, LOW STARCH Allen & Page feeds are approved by the Vegetarian Society, they DO NOT contain any genetically modified ingredients, and are completely drug free (no coccidiostats).

A&P breeders and growers
These pellets are suitable for feeding from weaning through to adulthood, and to the pregnant doe. Made from natural, wholesome ingredients including grass,linseed and oat fibre these pellets are completely balanced, with all the vitamins and minerals your rabbit needs. Pellets should be fed with plenty of hay and constant access to clean fresh water. Protexin is included to assist gut health and boost the immune system, by ensuring a healthy balance of micro-organisms in the rabbit's digestive system. COMPOSITION Oil 3.00% Protein 15.50 Fibre 18.00%, HIGH FIBRE, LOW STARCH Allen & Page feeds are approved by the Vegetarian Society, they DO NOT contain any genetically modified ingredients, and are completely drug free (no coccidiostats).

A&P Premium Mix
Made from high quality ingredients including cereals (barley, maize and oats) and peas this mix is completely balanced, with all the vitamins and minerals your rabbit needs. Designed for pet rabbits or as a maintenance diet for any adult rabbit, this mix should be fed with plenty of hay and constant access to clean fresh water. COMPOSITION Oil 3.00% Protein 12.00 Fibre 10.00% Allen & Page feeds are approved by the Vegetarian Society, they DO NOT contain any genetically modified ingredients, and are completely drug free (no coccidiostats)

Ill check our bags for Calcium/Phosphorus values see if its on there

Thank you I appreciate the help :) It sounds like I might have to email the company and see if they know and just don't label the bags with it.

This is my list so far... http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp I'm still ironing out the kinks in the code and I need to double check the numbers I'm comparing against, there seems to be quite a bit of variation on what the correct values should be!

Thats a great table, very comprehensive :) Perhaps when it is done, you could order them in order of fibre content.

One thing though - SS Adult is 25% fibre now.

I also have some info on the Vetcare Digestive that may fill some of the gap in the table:
VetCare Digestive : fibre: 28-33% (normally cited as 32%) protein: 12% calcium: 0.35-0.75 phosphorus: 0.3 vit a: 10000 IU/kg vit d: 1000 IU/kg vit e: 50 IU/kg

I'd seen calcium content for A&P reported on here as 0.59%, think it was also in a post by Rabbers (couldnt see the value in Jack's-Jane's post as my eyes are very tired, so sorry if I am saying the same thing twice). No idea about phosphorous though.

Thank you, thank you :)

It should sort if you click the table column headings, but I need to work on the fibre/calcium ones because a few end up at the bottom instead of top :lol:

That would be great if you could, thanks, I can only find the fibre/protein online none of the other info on calcium/vitamins etc. or ingredients order.

Was it you I promised Care Plus Junior's ingredient listing to?

Sorry if it was, I'll try to remember tomorrow if it's any use?

I don't think it was me, but I don't have any by Beaphar so if you've got the info and it's not too much trouble it would be good to add in :)

I've just had a look at the really useful chart and something that has been a mission of mine for a while is to get Burgess to admit their Cranberry and Ginseng (ie the food specifically targets for urinary tract health) has 0.9% calcium in it. I got a free sample pack about a year ago and the label stated it had 0.6% calcium, then I bought the 2kg bag and it said 0.9%. Given that it is specifically marketed for rabbits with urinary tract issues the lower calcium would be preferable. I e-mailed them asking them to clarify, stating the importance as I have a rabbit with one kidney and ongoing bladder sludge issues and they sent a very wordy reply stating that the packaging was wrong, the sample pack was accurate and it was 0.6% :? About 6 months later I sent another e-mail asking why their website stated it was 0.9% as that would be easier to alter than their packaging -I got a very brief reply sticking with the version of 0.6%. I'm buying the Supreme Science equivalent now (0.5% calcium) as I don't trust the information I was given from Burgess.

The comparision chart of all major brands is very useful as it saves trawling through loads of separate information.

That is odd, you'd have thought even if there was a mistake they'd have had to do a reprint by now, and like you say, a website is easy to change. As far as I can see the burgess foods are pretty much identical just different flavours. Even the 'lite' version is no more fibre or less protein/fat than standard. I think that's because they introduced that first then upped the fibre in their other varieties, but even so I can imagine people swapping to it thinking it will help their overweight bunny and it wouldn't make any difference! They wouldn't getaway with in on human food!

That is odd, you'd have thought even if there was a mistake they'd have had to do a reprint by now, and like you say, a website is easy to change. As far as I can see the burgess foods are pretty much identical just different flavours. Even the 'lite' version is no more fibre or less protein/fat than standard. I think that's because they introduced that first then upped the fibre in their other varieties, but even so I can imagine people swapping to it thinking it will help their overweight bunny and it wouldn't make any difference! They wouldn't getaway with in on human food!

Thanks. Yes, it's because all the others are around 0.9% that alarm bells were ringing for me that that's the truth. I've just checked my e-mails and it was 4 March when I originally enquired and 16 May second time I enquired, and this was my response to the second:

Thank you for your e-mail
I can confirm the calcium level for Excel Mature is 0.6%.
Kind Regards
Consumer Care

I've just asked them again, pointing out that if it is 0.6% not 0.9% then they might be putting people off buying it by stating the higher calcium content! I wonder if they will stick to their guns!

You're doing a great job Tamsin, I have been trying to compile a list of foods but it is so time consuming. When I rang Burgess to ask them about their "grass" they said it was a mix of meadow and lucerne. A lot of the foods have Alfalfa in them I suppose it's easier to grow than say Timothy. I must admit it is a bit of a maze but I would go for Oxbow if I had fewer buns. It will be interesting to have a full list to compare from.

Hi, here is what it says on the back of Beaphar Care Plus Junior:

Crude protein, 17.3%
Crude fibre, 22.2%
Crude oils and fats, 3.3%
Crude ash, 5%
Ca 0.82%; Na 0.2%; P 0.49%; Mg 0.3%, K 0.8%

Composition:
Cereals; derivatives of vegetable origin, vegetables, minerals, seeds, yeasts, Yucca Schidigera, Algae (Spirulina 0.01%)

There were some other things described on other bits of the label but I hope that's enough!

Back