• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Allen & Page / Chudleys

That's excellent thanks, added it in, so that's actually quite a good one for youngsters, apart from not mentioning any variations on grass in the ingredients.

To me lucerne = alfalfa and grass = timothy/meadow etc. but some of the labels to make me wonder how accurate the info they provide really is. A lot do seem to have alfalfa, although I guess the issue with it is that on it's own it is high protein/calcium so if they've mixed it with other things so the overall food values are okay it's not an issue if you're feeding the dry food alongside grass hay.

Allan and Page Breeder Grower Pellets

Analytical Constituents
Crude Protein 15.50%
Crude Fibre 18.00%
Crude Oils & Fats 4.50%
Crude Ash 9.00%
Calcium 0.80%
Sodium 0.30%
Phosphorous 0.45%
Omega 3 1.00%

Composition -
grass meal wheatfeed, oat feed, nutritionally improved straw, linseed expeller, soya (bean) expeller, soya (bean) oil, peas, calcium carbonate, molosses, salt, dicalcium phosphate, yeast rich in omega 3

Nutritional additives per kg
vitamins:
E672 vitamin A: 10KIU (as retinolacetate)
E671 vitamin D3 : 1.0KIU (as Chaolecolciferol0
E3o700 vitami E : 60mg (alpha tocopharol ac)

Trace elements
42mg ferrous sulphate monohydrate
40mg zinc oxide
39mg mongonous oxide
0.15mg calcium iodate anhydrous
0.25mg sodium selenite
10mg cooper chelote of aa glucine

I've just had a look at the really useful chart and something that has been a mission of mine for a while is to get Burgess to admit their Cranberry and Ginseng (ie the food specifically targets for urinary tract health) has 0.9% calcium in it. I got a free sample pack about a year ago and the label stated it had 0.6% calcium, then I bought the 2kg bag and it said 0.9%. Given that it is specifically marketed for rabbits with urinary tract issues the lower calcium would be preferable. I e-mailed them asking them to clarify, stating the importance as I have a rabbit with one kidney and ongoing bladder sludge issues and they sent a very wordy reply stating that the packaging was wrong, the sample pack was accurate and it was 0.6% :? About 6 months later I sent another e-mail asking why their website stated it was 0.9% as that would be easier to alter than their packaging -I got a very brief reply sticking with the version of 0.6%. I'm buying the Supreme Science equivalent now (0.5% calcium) as I don't trust the information I was given from Burgess.

The comparision chart of all major brands is very useful as it saves trawling through loads of separate information.

Just an update on what I said above. I got an email from an assistant brand manager at Burgess today

"Thank you for your email highlighting the inaccurate information on our website. Please could you provide a link to the page so that I can update with the correct information."

I found a polite way of saying "Go look on your own website" rather than providing them with a link :roll: I had given them all the information they needed - it isn't my job to provide them with the link to the specific page!!! Anyhow, it has now been amended to say 0.6% :D

http://www.burgesspetcare.co.uk/pro...xcel-rabbit-mature-cranberry-amp-ginseng.html

I wonder how much more they would have sold in the last 7 months if the calcium content had been given accurately?

Last edited:
Thanks, I've updated mine too. I'm still waiting for some of the companies to get back to me. You'd have thought a basic question like the nutritional values of the food would be something they'd be able to answer easily!

Back