• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excel vs Supreme Science Selective - which one has more fibre?

tommo1975

Young Bun
I am considering moving Boris from Excel to Science Selective on the basis that he keeps having episodes of stasis (about 5 episodes in about 2 years). However, when you look at Science Selective the packaging says 25% fibre, yet Excel says 39% crude fibre - not sure if I am comparing apples or oranges here, but that implies Excel is better from a fibre point of view?

I am considering moving Boris from Excel to Science Selective on the basis that he keeps having episodes of stasis (about 5 episodes in about 2 years). However, when you look at Science Selective the packaging says 25% fibre, yet Excel says 39% crude fibre - not sure if I am comparing apples or oranges here, but that implies Excel is better from a fibre point of view?

Excel is 39% beneficial fibre and 19% crude fibre. I think that means that of the 19% crude fibre, 39% of it is beneficial fibre. SS is 24% crude fibre and therefore a higher overall fibre content.

Is info in the Excel website: http://www.burgesspetcare.co.uk/products/excel-feeding-plan.html

Yep, Excel confusing things by talking about beneficial fibre which is different to crude fibre which all the other companies list. I prefer SS too.

How much do you feed? The amount can be as important as brand. Keeping the pellets down and the hay up is a big help for gut issues.

Yep, Excel confusing things by talking about beneficial fibre which is different to crude fibre which all the other companies list. I prefer SS too.

How much do you feed? The amount can be as important as brand. Keeping the pellets down and the hay up is a big help for gut issues.

In terms of how much i feed him, if you take a plastic vending machine cup, at most i feed him one of those full of pellets every two days. For example, i topped up his dish with pellets yesterday morning and it's still got plenty in this morning so i haven't topped it up. He's not a big pellet eater, rarely does he clear the dish.

He does appear to be a good hay eater though, i always see him eating it.

I would see if it's because he's scoffing too much food in one day, he may not be eating all the pellets, but it might just be too much for his stomach to take in one go. I'd try him on an eggcup full a day or less and see if reducing it has any effect on his stasis problems.

i feed ss after years of feeding burgess, they only get 9 and half pellets in morning, rest of diet is hay based, with veg,greens at suppertime

Back