• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chilli plants - okay ???

I<3Rabbits

Mama Doe
We have some chilli plants- we didn't think the chillies on the plants were going to ripen any more so we picked them off this morning. Are the plants okay to give to my rabbits. I haven't given any to them yet. The plant is still alive not dying or rotten I just don't want to put in the bin and let it go to waste if my buns can have it.

We have some chilli plants- we didn't think the chillies on the plants were going to ripen any more so we picked them off this morning. Are the plants okay to give to my rabbits. I haven't given any to them yet. The plant is still alive not dying or rotten I just don't want to put in the bin and let it go to waste if my buns can have it.

I wouldn't. Chillies are part of the nightshade family.

My naughty boys once escaped in my room one night; woke up to find they'd eaten 2 of my chilli plants and started on the 3rd. They'd even eaten the chilli themselves. They were fine but had sore bellies the next day :roll:

I'd say the leaves themselves are safe but the chilli's not such a good idea

Chilies are on a rabbit safe list however it's not something I would ever feed

This^

I was googling it but found nothing, although chili is used to repel wild rabbits from eating plants in the garden as it has the same affect on them as it does on some humans, so even if the leaves had been washed I wouldn't bother. Just stick to the stuff you know they like.

The fruit would be safe, like humans eat sweet pepper (although I wouldn't give um chilli versions), but not the plants/leaves. They are the same family of potato/toms etc. Chilli plants are perennials, if you keep them inside (if they aren't already) they'll flower and fruit again. The chillies would have ripened in time too.

Ok thanks guys I am not going to give any to them, I don't want to risk them having poorly tummys. The plants are outside:p

Back