• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do they need??

Becky_lou

New Kit
Hi everyone :wave:
Was just wondering as silly as it sounds what exactly my little bunnies need and dont need.. Bit of a newbie im affraid :(

0B7BC423-4CF2-4424-AA07-459A7EA5A688-10681-00000560536DC9ED.jpg

Hi everyone :wave:
Was just wondering as silly as it sounds what exactly my little bunnies need and dont need.. Bit of a newbie im affraid :(

0B7BC423-4CF2-4424-AA07-459A7EA5A688-10681-00000560536DC9ED.jpg

What have you already got ??

they need
Hay
megazorb
high fibre pellets
vaccinations
toy to stop them getting bored
they need spaying or neutering when old enough

What have you already got ??

they need
Hay
megazorb
high fibre pellets
vaccinations
toy to stop them getting bored
they need spaying or neutering when old enough

Thankyou for your reply :) :)
Theyve been neutered and they have had there vaccinations. I have hay and high fibre pellets (which make are best??)
What is megazorb??
What toys do you think are best??

what pellets are you currently feeding them on

megazorb is a type of bedding you keep them on as sawdust causes respitary problems
some rabbits love home made toys like loo rolls some like tunnels to run through

You can just use newspaper, it's all I use. A couple of whole newspapers in their litter tray and lots of hay in top.

I get megazorb at a local animal feed place for £6.80 (plus vat) for a HUGE bag :thumb: I get through a bag a week as I have 7 buns... I stay away from pets at home for pet stuff...apart from their pellets...I have 2 pairs of buns on P@H pellets at the moment...

Hay can be bought cheaply in large bags ( www.hayforpets.co.uk ) do a nice selection and if you have a farm thats near by they might be willing to sell you meadow hay which is much much cheaper than shop bought hay (I buy huge horse bales for £4.50-£5 depending on which farm i use!) :thumb:

I find all mine drink better from water bowls rather than bottles.

Keep asking questions and reading on here...I have learnt so much since joining here :) Your buns are gorgeous! :love:

Megazorb is not carefresh, they are completely different stuff.

But both carefresh and medazorb ar good. You can get carefresh at most pet shops, or you could use the back to nature paper pellet litter, or any wood or paper based cat litter. Or newspaper and hay is good too!

How big is the area you are keeping them in? In my opinion space and diet are the most important things you can give them an I believe diet has been covered :thumb:

Awwwh Becky its lovely to see you on here! I'm Becky (from RSPCA Walsall who you spoke to on the phone) :D

Jeremy and Jim are currently fed a diet of 80% hay, and then we feed Burgess Excel Pellets - http://www.petsathome.com/shop/burgess-excel-tasty-nuggets-adult-rabbit-food-2kg-4kg-and-10kg-15703.

They are used to drinking from a water bottle.

We don't reccommend using wood shavings or sawdust, the fosterer who has the boys, currently uses a thick layer of newspaper on the base of the cage, and then a thick layer of hay. Straw may be useful this time of year for the bedding area of the hutch.

You could go really over board with buying things, but for the basics i would start with lots of hay, a bag of straw (for bedding), Burgess excel pellets, start collecting newspapers (for the base of the hutch), a water bottle, food bowl, some toys (willow balls always go down a treat with bunnies, and they will often throw around the jingle type, plastic balls).

Feel free to PM me on here if you need any advice, or you can get me via email at enquiries@rspca-walsall.org.uk. Don't feel like you can't ask us anything, we all started somewhere :love:

Our rabbits love the rabbit tunnels you can buy - the fabric ones can be attached together to make huge tunnel play area's, or the large card ones can be nibbled! Our female bunny loves toilet rolls :lol:

Back