• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House bun wont eat hay

No, hes just allways been fussy about hay we thought we had cracked it then his girlfriend started poohing an peeing in the hay box so i bought a rack but hes not interested and if i put a box back bella will go back to poohing init as shes very teritorial lol.

Can you attach the rack right next to the litter box?

I put hay in his litter tray, have a rack next to it and when he is in his run I stuff a metal food ball with hay and hang it above the box, he loves reaching up to get to it!

we have an storae box that we fill with hay and put a sprinkle of treats in which he loves digging abouts in and munches a lot of hay as well x

No, hes just allways been fussy about hay we thought we had cracked it then his girlfriend started poohing an peeing in the hay box so i bought a rack but hes not interested and if i put a box back bella will go back to poohing init as shes very teritorial lol.

Make sure you get a hay rack that hangs on the cage so the bun's sitting on the litter tray while eating from it. Pull a bit of the hay in case the bun's having trouble pulling out the hay from the rack. I've noticed my bun refusing to eat from the rack sometimes if she can't pull out the hay because it's all compressed in the rack. Pulling strands out seems to work.

I hope you manage to get bun eating hay, I have been fighting the same battle to no avail.

I have tried EVERYTHING. Every hay under the sun (the bags I have thrown away is ridiculous). Putting it in a litter tray, in a hay rack, in a box, in toilet tubes, putting forage in it, hiding veg in it, cutting down pellets and veg (she just lost weight).........my list is endless.

Poppy would literally starve than eat hay, she is a dental bun so I can only imagine it is painful for her to chew. The only time she will put hay in her mouth is when she is waiting for her breakfast or tea and is 'starving', she will literally be chewing one strand with is sticking out her mouth (it never actually gets eaten, just chewed on for effect) and will be looking at me as if to say 'look what I have had to resort to because YOU won't feed me). :lol:

It's a nightmare because I never know if she is hungry or just greedy, with the other buns I can always assume that if they are hungry enough they can eat hay but she can't, I have to go by her weight. As a result of all the pellets I have to feed (soaked so she can chew them), her partner is getting tubby to say the very least.

If you come up with something that works for you please do let me know. :wave:

I hope you manage to get bun eating hay, I have been fighting the same battle to no avail.

I have tried EVERYTHING. Every hay under the sun (the bags I have thrown away is ridiculous). Putting it in a litter tray, in a hay rack, in a box, in toilet tubes, putting forage in it, hiding veg in it, cutting down pellets and veg (she just lost weight).........my list is endless.

Poppy would literally starve than eat hay, she is a dental bun so I can only imagine it is painful for her to chew. The only time she will put hay in her mouth is when she is waiting for her breakfast or tea and is 'starving', she will literally be chewing one strand with is sticking out her mouth (it never actually gets eaten, just chewed on for effect) and will be looking at me as if to say 'look what I have had to resort to because YOU won't feed me). :lol:

It's a nightmare because I never know if she is hungry or just greedy, with the other buns I can always assume that if they are hungry enough they can eat hay but she can't, I have to go by her weight. As a result of all the pellets I have to feed (soaked so she can chew them), her partner is getting tubby to say the very least.

If you come up with something that works for you please do let me know. :wave:

On my way home from work i had to go into wilkinsons and while i was there i walked past the pet food isle and there was a bag of dandelion and green oat, its not hay i dont think im asuming its dryed dandelions stalks, grass and herbs,anyway toffee loved it obviously im going to give him too much as it might upset his tummy but if i can get him into eating more dryed grassy stuff he may be less fussy,he dosnt have a problem with the grass in the garden, usually i give him a piece of hay and he takes it of me and chucks it on the floor as if to say how dare u give me that lol such a caracter, ive ordered a sample pack from hay for pets its 3 different types of hay and its free you just pay £3.50 postage,so the hay battle continues, he will eat hay, hopefully lol,goodluck.

Back