• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Probiotics - Beaphar Tummy Care - is it better on food or in water?

cpayne

Warren Veteran
I've just ordered the Tummy Care, does anyone use this? It's carrot flavour so wondered if I'm better putting it on her food rather than in her water apparently you can do either. She does drink quite a bit but she has a big bowl so she will definitely get more on her food. Has anyone else done this?

I'm just wondering if it's in her bowl how much will see actually take in and will end up using quite a bit every day.

Ive always put it in water, and always diluted it a little more than it says, my bun wouldnt drink it otherwise,

He was same as your girl, made odd noises from belly with movement, runny bum losing weight but other than that happy as anything

Have you checked with your vet about whether to give it? It is carrot flavour, which suggests high sugar, and a website says: 'Due to the sugar content this supplement is unsuitable for degus or chinchillas.' Personally I wouldn't want to give a high-sugar product to a rabbit with gut problems, but your vet will know what is best. The comment that it stains fur orange... I would also check it for any unnatural colourings/E numbers before using it.

If you do give it in water, ensure she has a bowl of plain water too, you wouldn't want her to not drink enough if she didn't like the taste.

I've cancelled the order.

Should I get the pro C one instead from pets at home then, is that better? I didn't realise some are better than others, thought they were all the same!

Last edited:
Ive always put it in water, and always diluted it a little more than it says, my bun wouldnt drink it otherwise,

He was same as your girl, made odd noises from belly with movement, runny bum losing weight but other than that happy as anything

What do you think is wrong with your little one?

She's put her weight back on again now so back to a heavy 1.1kg which is her normal weight :)

I've cancelled the order.

Should I get the pro C one instead from pets at home then, is that better? I didn't realise some are better than others, thought they were all the same!

I would ask your vet, as different ones are better for different problems and for longterm or short term use. Personally I'd go for something made by Protexin, as they are actually meant to help with medical problems, whereas something like Pro C is more marketed for sale in pet shops. Protexin probiotic products include: Bio-lapis (powder I think, never used it), fibreplex (fibre and probiotic paste) and profibre pellets (probiotic pellets, not normal food pellets).

Protexin here too. The pro C made mine drink loads due to the water tasting sweet. The Protexin are flavoured with dandelion.

I've used biolapis recommended by an exotics referral center.
It's a powder.
What I've found with powders is that they fall through dry food, end up on the bottom of the bowl where niether of mine will eat it.
Both would take powders easily if wrapped up in a basil leaf parcel.... (which reminds me :oops:)

I used to use Protexin Biolapis up until recently, I have now switched to Avipro plus. It worked out cheaper for me as I had a couple of buns on it long term. Both seem really good and the buns seem to like them, mine will take straight from a syringe and go crazy for it...

I use the Pro C. I use it in the water if the buns have travelled somewhere or if they have been off colour/after dental etc. Also a tiny bit with sudden severe weather change.

Back