Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High-fibre pellets other than Supreme/Burgess/Oxbow?

Default High-fibre pellets other than Supreme/Burgess/Oxbow?

As title really, making a list of all decent pellets for the vet to look over, to help me choose a new food for Barney.

I've got Oxbow, Excel and Supreme/VetCare ones down... any others? One that is fairly easy to get (online or pet shop) and has a minimum fibre level of 19% preferably?

Mama Doe

Excel sensitive pellets. My 2 are doing really well on them. Think they are 22% fibre but I will post the exact figures tomorrow.

Mama Doe

Just checked and this is the composition of excel sensitive:

Beneficial Fibre 46% Crude Protein 13%, Crude Oils & Fats 3%, Crude Fibres 25%, Crude Ash 7%, Calcium 0.7% Phosphorous 0.5% Sodium 0.25%

I've never known what the difference is between beneficial fibre and crude fibre?

Fibafirst - comes as sticks, not pellets but same idea, I think.

I only have the Junior range, but perhaps Beaphar Care Plus? I don't know the fibre content I'm afraid but perhaps someone else could help?

Yep, got Excel sensitive under Excel, and Fibafirst under Supreme.

Haven't got beaphar, was going to add them but couldn't find an easy source to get them from - where do you buy them?

Quote Originally Posted by nessar View Post
    Yep, got Excel sensitive under Excel, and Fibafirst under Supreme.

Haven't got beaphar, was going to add them but couldn't find an easy source to get them from - where do you buy them?
    A local shop or pet-supermarket.co.uk, I would check the packet for you but I use the junior version so that's no good. The junior version is very good I find, but very pricey. I tried some and it tastes a bit like Weetabix.

Katie, the 'fibre' content published by all other brands are what Excel call 'crude fibre'. Crude fibre is indigestible fibre. There is another type of fibre which is digestible. Excel invented the term 'beneficial fibre'. I gather from this: http://www.fightforfibre.co.uk/downl...ning_Guide.pdf that the term is used for digestible + indigestible fibre. I think it is basically just marketing, for the same reason Supreme have '100% vegetarian' written on their rabbit foods - its just to make them look better than the other brands (and in Supreme's case remind everyone that heard about it before, about the research that they did that showed traces of meat in competitor's foods, likely due to the fact that they manufactured cat/dog foods in the same factory).

Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    A local shop or pet-supermarket.co.uk, I would check the packet for you but I use the junior version so that's no good. The junior version is very good I find, but very pricey. I tried some and it tastes a bit like Weetabix.
    Could you post the details of the junior one?

Allen and Page naturals. 23% fibre butsome buns loose condition on it. TBH, I don't panic over fibre amounts. The vast majority of their diet is hay so the small amount of food they get isn't going to make s vast difference. I feed rabbit royale only now, it seems more natural, keeps weight on skinny buns and doesn't cause excess cecals.

Hi! If you need help with anything, please send me, or one of the other forum buddies a message and we will do our best to help.