• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

High-fibre pellets other than Supreme/Burgess/Oxbow?

nessar

Warren Veteran
As title really, making a list of all decent pellets for the vet to look over, to help me choose a new food for Barney.

I've got Oxbow, Excel and Supreme/VetCare ones down... any others? One that is fairly easy to get (online or pet shop) and has a minimum fibre level of 19% preferably?

Excel sensitive pellets. My 2 are doing really well on them. Think they are 22% fibre but I will post the exact figures tomorrow.

Just checked and this is the composition of excel sensitive:

Beneficial Fibre 46% Crude Protein 13%, Crude Oils & Fats 3%, Crude Fibres 25%, Crude Ash 7%, Calcium 0.7% Phosphorous 0.5% Sodium 0.25%

I've never known what the difference is between beneficial fibre and crude fibre?

I only have the Junior range, but perhaps Beaphar Care Plus? I don't know the fibre content I'm afraid but perhaps someone else could help?

Yep, got Excel sensitive under Excel, and Fibafirst under Supreme.

Haven't got beaphar, was going to add them but couldn't find an easy source to get them from - where do you buy them?

Yep, got Excel sensitive under Excel, and Fibafirst under Supreme.

Haven't got beaphar, was going to add them but couldn't find an easy source to get them from - where do you buy them?

A local shop or pet-supermarket.co.uk, I would check the packet for you but I use the junior version so that's no good. The junior version is very good I find, but very pricey. I tried some and it tastes a bit like Weetabix. :lol:

Katie, the 'fibre' content published by all other brands are what Excel call 'crude fibre'. Crude fibre is indigestible fibre. There is another type of fibre which is digestible. Excel invented the term 'beneficial fibre'. I gather from this: http://www.fightforfibre.co.uk/downloads/Excel_Training_Guide.pdf that the term is used for digestible + indigestible fibre. I think it is basically just marketing, for the same reason Supreme have '100% vegetarian' written on their rabbit foods - its just to make them look better than the other brands (and in Supreme's case remind everyone that heard about it before, about the research that they did that showed traces of meat in competitor's foods, likely due to the fact that they manufactured cat/dog foods in the same factory).

A local shop or pet-supermarket.co.uk, I would check the packet for you but I use the junior version so that's no good. The junior version is very good I find, but very pricey. I tried some and it tastes a bit like Weetabix. :lol:

Could you post the details of the junior one?

Allen and Page naturals. 23% fibre butsome buns loose condition on it. TBH, I don't panic over fibre amounts.:oops: The vast majority of their diet is hay so the small amount of food they get isn't going to make s vast difference. I feed rabbit royale only now, it seems more natural, keeps weight on skinny buns and doesn't cause excess cecals.

Katie, the 'fibre' content published by all other brands are what Excel call 'crude fibre'. Crude fibre is indigestible fibre. There is another type of fibre which is digestible. Excel invented the term 'beneficial fibre'. I gather from this: http://www.fightforfibre.co.uk/downloads/Excel_Training_Guide.pdf that the term is used for digestible + indigestible fibre. I think it is basically just marketing, for the same reason Supreme have '100% vegetarian' written on their rabbit foods - its just to make them look better than the other brands (and in Supreme's case remind everyone that heard about it before, about the research that they did that showed traces of meat in competitor's foods, likely due to the fact that they manufactured cat/dog foods in the same factory).

Fascinating, thank you Nessar! :thumb:

Allen and Page naturals. 23% fibre butsome buns loose condition on it. TBH, I don't panic over fibre amounts.:oops: The vast majority of their diet is hay so the small amount of food they get isn't going to make s vast difference. I feed rabbit royale only now, it seems more natural, keeps weight on skinny buns and doesn't cause excess cecals.

Thank you. I'm going to include it in the list but I think I'll avoid that one unless the vet particularly wants him on it, as it is notorious for weightloss and the idea of the pellet change is to put weight on Barney by improving the health of his gut, which at the moment doesnt seem to absorb nutrients properly. I'm also going to avoid museli because of the low fibre content, I'm really struggling to get him to eat more hay so I need a dried food that is going to go some way to compensate for that, fibre-wise.

Does anyone know the phosphorus, calcium, vit A, C, D and E levels for A&P, both the grower and natural ones? Cant find the info anywhere online :(

I'm in the process of moving Doughnut over to the vetcare digestive formula. She doesn't like them as much as the normal SS ones but does like them now. She definitely has to chew them more and it takes her longer to eat them so hopefully will help with gas.

Back