• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excel vs Supreme Science Selective

misspoppy

Young Bun
A while ago, when excel changed their recipe Moops skin broke out, and went dry & flakey. Nismo stopped eating it point blank so I changed them onto ss (against my bank accounts better judgement lolz)

Now, I've noticed that Ollie is loosing weight and choosing his veg over excel - he eats lots of hay and veg but has started to get not so solid poos :(
They smell and are wet almost in comparison to the golden poos im used to - noticed Alices are darker too.

So, when I get back from the bfs this weekend I think I'll be moving them onto ss too - where do people buy ss?
I've used amazon and monster pet supplies so far. :/

I'm very fortunate in that the place I buy bales of hay from also stocks SS. I've never tried mine of excel due to it's reputation for causing sticky bottoms. One of mine has a tendency towards malformed cecals so I've always steered clear.

I find SS very good value for money. A 1.5kg bag costs me about £3 and lasts my three about 4-5 weeks. Thats a guestimation as when I had four it always lasted a month.

Check local garden centres, they normally have a pet section, I've found a couple of them near me that stock SS. It has to be local independent ones though, B&Q won't do it!

Also do you have and smallish local pet shops? There is one a little way from me that is integrated with a farm shop and therefore tend to stock the more natural/healthy pet foods including SS :thumb:

I think I last bought a bag from pet planet as I was ordering a whole load of other stuff at the same time. The hay experts also stock it I think, and maybe zooplus? Though I don't know which online shop is the cheapest!

I buy it from the hay experts, as I buy hays from there anyway.

You should take your rabbit to the vet though, as you havent changed his food recently I doubt it is a problem with his pellets. Perhaps new veg or the wrong veg or too much veg was fed? but best to get him checked out (especially his gut and his teeth) just in case. Losing weight is always something that should be taken very seriously in rabbits.

I usually get it from the hay experts, vetuk or the non-livestock pet shop in my local wyevale garden centre. Personally I think it is much better than excel, I've had several foster bunnies who arrived on excel and all their poos improved and excess caecatrophs stopped after swapping. Of course every bun is different and some foods will clearly suit some more than others, but it might be worth a try for you. I do agree with Nessar though that a vet check would be a good idea first as any chance in overall health, body condition or poops for no apparent reason should be checked.

Beau used to have recurrent stasis, and one of the first things that was suggested was to switch to SS, so I think you're making a wise move. We have to travel a way to get ours. Jolleyes do it http://www.jollyes.co.uk/, if you have one near you, as do Pets Corner http://www.petscorner.co.uk/. Or maybe your vet will order it for you? Our vet always has the little bags in, but I presume they could order bigger bags if they knew they would sell.

I think that Excel can cause slghtly different poos, if i remember. There's been a few comments on the subject on here over the years.
I think SS is in most pet shops (at least, it is around here)

Hiya :)

Ollie was at the vets recently - his teeth are ok (him & Alice have a spur but nothing to worry about vet says) and his weight is still ok, although he is smaller. If there was anything sinister my vet would have noticed, they are very good :)

He doesn't really eat excel which is the same as my other pair - Nis stopped eating it and the weight started coming off so I changed them to ss. It genuinely seems to be related to when he eats excel - they get veg only in the am, and then excel at night - beforeI gave them the treat balls with the excel his poos were dark but after they were also wet and less hard - not much or anything just really moist!

I was hoping to wait until end of december to start the change over as I have excel left, but I will start it on Monday I think, as Ollie is priority :)

I'm quite disappointed though, as excel was the first nugget that really worked, and I used it with fosters as its not to pricey and readily available so seemed a good all rounder but now i'm starting to hear lots of not so good things :(

Moopy has had stasis and I've noticed such an improvement! But they seem to have removed the aniseed & fenugreek flavouring from the new one? We got a sample of it :/

I have a £1 of voucher for ss, so will be hitting Dobbies - they do a 1.5k bag. . . Elena, how much did you feed&how often?

Thanks guys :)

I have a scoop which is four tablespoons. It's the perfect amount for a pair and what I've been doing with three is filling it but not all the way to the top and giving that twice a day. So they get roughly one tablespoon twice a day each.

I see :)

We have a scoop thing in our tub from asda, so that makes sense!

Found a local supplier that sells it and no animals, yay :)

I see :)

We have a scoop thing in our tub from asda, so that makes sense!

Found a local supplier that sells it and no animals, yay :)

:thumb:

This is a cooking thing I found in a local garden centre. It equates to something like a 1/4 american cup.

Just be on 'Tooth Watch' with your bun. Sometimes when they have a spur forming which shouldn't bother them in theory, it is in fact bothersome for them. Bunnies have different pain thresholds and also depends on their eating motion. The might just catch the spur with their tongue or cheek occasionally ;)

Back