• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warning for anyone using Pettex Meadow hay!

Rileysrascals

Young Bun
This morning I was dishing out the Pettex meadow hay to my rabbits from a new bag when I felt something sharp on my finger. I looked down and my finger was bleeding. When I looked into the hay I then found a piece of sharp shredded rusty wiring in the hay. I couldn't believe it! Immediately I took the hay away from my rabbit and cleaned out the crate thoroughly just in case. I then had a look through the bag of hay and found several pieces of this wire spread out through the whole bag. The scary thing is, it is a thin rusty wire, so it blends in perfectly with the hay. I hate to say it but I don't think I would have seen it if I hadn't cut my finger on it! I have messaged Pettex about this but haven't received a reply yet (but to be fair I only sent the message this lunch time) and contact the pet shop who sold it to me so they can check the rest of the hay they have.

So please, if you buy this hay, make sure you look through it thoroughly! I can only imagine what would have happened if one of my babies had eaten some of the wire before I had found it!

559136_10151362530271177_1065769938_n.jpg

This is some of the wire I found

548929_10151362529436177_1640029645_n.jpg

There are actually several pieces of wire on the very top of this hay, this is how hard it was to see them

14286_10151362528871177_275126766_n.jpg

This is the type of hay that the wire was found in

I know it's really scary thinking about what could have happened if I hadn't spotted it! I am just worried that other people might not be so lucky as to see it. I contacted the pet shop who are just as disgusted as I was and they are going to contact their supplier. I wonder if I will get a decent response from Pettex, if not they will have me on the phone which won't be so nice for the person answering! :evil: I get really mad if something could have hurt my babies!

Back