• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay and lice

ferretfreak4

Warren Scout
I've been using bales of hay for my buns and guineas for a while now, i know there can be lice in hay but i have never had a problem until now, my mums buns got neutered today and the vet found lice!

My question is how can i prevent thrm getting lice and is there a cheap alternative to bales of hay? As i have 8 guineas who eat LOADS of the stuff!

Last edited:
Doesn't matter if it is baled or not, It all comes from a crop that is barn stored. I would imagine that is where the lice get in. In over 25 years of keeping rabbits and feeding bales I have never had lice. I personally would burn the bale you have, treat the animals and get another bale from a different barn;)

I think Smudge had lice not long after we got him but I'm 99% sure he had them when he came to me from the pet shop. Treated him with xeno 450 (the spray) and never had a problem since. I use baled hay.

hmmm in general fleas or lice are not big hay fans they like warmth and a host, they can also live quite happily in carpet for long periods.

I would ask your vets for some advantage for rabbits and treat every twice allowing a 2 week gap. (it can be used weekly in bad infestations because rabbit metabolisms are much quicker than cat/dogs) I'm pretty sure advantage is piggy safe and it might be more effective than xeno

I would bin this bale and have a good hoover

Back