• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are there any leaves buns can't have?

supersonic

Mama Doe
We have an apple tree and a walnut tree and they've just dropped all their leaves. The boys (bun and guinea) love munching on these, are they ok for them to eat? Sonic also like to play with the stalks, so I was wondering if it was ok if I put some in his hutch?

We have an apple tree and a walnut tree and they've just dropped all their leaves. The boys (bun and guinea) love munching on these, are they ok for them to eat? Sonic also like to play with the stalks, so I was wondering if it was ok if I put some in his hutch?

There are a great many unsafe leaves for rabbits so the answer is only feed what you absolutely know to be okay (apple and pear are okay). And if you don't know for sure which are not, don't feed them.

There are a great many unsafe leaves for rabbits so the answer is only feed what you absolutely know to be okay (apple and pear are okay). And if you don't know for sure which are not, don't feed them.

Thank you :) I'll keep the walnut leaves away from him because I can't really find any info about them... he only went for the apple leaves anyway.

Willow is fine yes, and hawthorn, hazel and birch too I know are all fine.

(definately not any wood/leaf where it is from a fruit tree with a stone e.g. cherry (ornamental too), peach, plum)

I wouldn't feed walnut, very very very bitter. I don't know if it is toxic.
NOT SAFE include but not limited to=
Rhododenron, laurel, yew, ivy, elder, box, holly, if it is evergreen or has shiny leaves DON'T feed it! That's a good rule of thumb;)

SAFE include=
hazel, field maple, hawthron, blackthorn, ash, apple, pear, willow, beech and birch:thumb:

Rhododenron, laurel, yew, ivy, elder, box, holly, if it is evergreen or has shiny leaves DON'T feed it! That's a good rule of thumb;)

SAFE include=
hazel, field maple, hawthron, blackthorn, ash, apple, pear, willow, beech and birch:thumb:

I agree with this :)

SAFE include=

Thank you! I guess rabbits are good at knowing what not to eat anyway, but I'll make sure I won't let him have walnut or anything shiny/evergreen! :)

Thank you! I guess rabbits are good at knowing what not to eat anyway, but I'll make sure I won't let him have walnut or anything shiny/evergreen! :)

No I'm certain that they are not good at knowing this - just posted this on a very similar thread on this forum.

"Rabbits are almost certainly not selective - if they were they wouldn't steal their owners human foods like chocolate etc. So please don't be fooled into thinking they will choose only safe plants.

In the wild, rabbits would normally have native plants in their home areas so the likelyhood of them eating unsafe plants is lessened, but most wild rabbits don't live very long anyway due to illness/predators/being run over/hunted etc so we can't compare like with like. I imagine that if they repeatedly ate toxic plants they'd get organ issues, but just don't live long enough to be a problem, besides noone goes out to do PM's on wild rabbits.

I guess it's safe to say that they may avoid some of the deadly plants as most of them have bitter tastes deliberately to put off being eaten (mother nature is clever that way) "

Back