• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

The bad side of breeding

Geoff's people

Alpha Buck
Not been on for a few days as things have gone to pot lately, small holding gone mad and now this....
As you may know I recently gave a forever home to 2 does, had been living in a group of 7 in too small accommodation with an entire buck..
I thought we had got away with it till Friday morning:cry: I went out early as usual to find poor Pinks had slipped (aborted) 6 underdeveloped, malformed kits:cry: They were not quite full term but not far off. Poor love had not even attempted a nest, and the kits were scattered about.
The heartbreaking thing though is after I removed them she carried on searching:cry::cry::cry::cry:
Poor love, I am now watching Lupin like a hawk. I don't 'think' she is pregnant, but I was wrong before. Only a few days (will check my sums) and we will know for sure, so fingers crossed.
Pinks seems to be recovered now, and certainly has retained a healthy appetite. Nothing would put this bun off her food!

Binky free lil bunsters who never had a chance, have fun at the bridge:love::love::love:

Awww thats really sad... I'm glad Pinks seem to be ok...

Best of luck with Lupin

fee x

Oh so sad. We pick up the pieces and whilst we sadly can't erase the horrors of the past, we love and care and protect. No more horror, no more fear for the little ones. And when we're alone, we try to deal with the anger and the despair, and wonder when this will end.

That is so horrible, what a shame for them and Mum. Until one of my fosters gave birth I had no idea just how maternal bunnies are.

I'm so sorry. I was only thinking the other day of your two new additions and wondering how they were settling in. At least she has you to comfort her and a much better home than they had before.

Aww no :(:(:(

Poor little thing prob had no idea how to build a nest, I know it's instinct but it would be a minor miracle if this was the first litter she'd had, and in her previous home there really was nothing to make a nest from, and so many other buns that even if she'd tried it would not have worked :(

I hope that rabbits truly do live in the 'now' because if that is the case then I know you will do all you can to make her 'now' happy and safe. At least we know now that she will never have to go though that again xxx

Binky free little ones.

That is so horrible, what a shame for them and Mum. Until one of my fosters gave birth I had no idea just how maternal bunnies are.

They are very maternal, live to have babies really. That's why I let some of mine have babies years ago because I couldn't bear to see the look of longing in their eyes. It's horrible!

They are very maternal, live to have babies really. That's why I let some of mine have babies years ago because I couldn't bear to see the look of longing in their eyes. It's horrible!

Spaying at the earliest opportunity avoids that :) It also prevents horrible uterine problems, including uterine cancer, in later life.

Thanks guys!

Little Pinks is fine now, though a tad hormonal but that is to be expected I guess.
Lupin still looks slim and I still don't think she is in kit, but if nothing by Saturday then we are all clear:thumb:

Fingers and paws all crossed:)

Back